guys long tube set up pass the sniffer?

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
if you have cats. im just wondering because i have some long tubes on the way, and dont want to cancell the order. however, i was just thinking that in my state they print right on the inspection sticker the type of vehicle and other info. this means even if i dont go to regular inspection, i still really have to pass the sniffer. even if i go to a little gas station that does inspection and want to pay them for a sticker! :(

do you guys pass the sniffer if your catted?

• Sponsors (?)

doubt it...from what everyone is saying state/federal laws are stricter and stricter and they are not going to let anyone that barely fails by. Your taking a big chance unless you know someone who can hook you up even if you fail.

My opinion is do some talking and find out an out of the city rural area in your state that people can inspect and not worry about uncle EPA riding him.

kirkyg

ive been trying to figure out the difference between shortys and l/t, both have air comming out of the engine and travel through different lenths of pipe and then through the cats? unless aftermarkek catted (2 cats) mid pipes dont pass either? but i thought thats what they were for.

anyway i know many guys on here have long tubes and knoe everything about these cars. please chime in i really want the long tubes.

also on the slp website they state that these long tubes will hook up to all factory emissions equipment. that seems good but i really dont know.

ADRENLN said:
ive been trying to figure out the difference between shortys and l/t, both have air comming out of the engine and travel through different lenths of pipe and then through the cats? unless aftermarkek catted (2 cats) mid pipes dont pass either? but i thought thats what they were for.

anyway i know many guys on here have long tubes and knoe everything about these cars. please chime in i really want the long tubes.

also on the slp website they state that these long tubes will hook up to all factory emissions equipment. that seems good but i really dont know.

I don't think they will pass. Anyway, "hooking up to factory emissions equipment" doesn't mean it'll pass the strictions... If you have too much C02 coming out of that pipe, you just have too much, regardless of your setup. They haven't passed the emissions law in Tejas yet, but it's coming in the next year or so. I'm keeping my stock H-PIPE and will install just in case. I don't have LT's, so that'll help me there. Does anyone know if the state of GEORGIA have emissions? We're entertaining the idea of possible moving there.

pony_vert02 said:
I don't think they will pass. Anyway, "hooking up to factory emissions equipment" doesn't mean it'll pass the strictions... If you have too much C02 coming out of that pipe, you just have too much, regardless of your setup. They haven't passed the emissions law in Tejas yet, but it's coming in the next year or so. I'm keeping my stock H-PIPE and will install just in case. I don't have LT's, so that'll help me there. Does anyone know if the state of GEORGIA have emissions? We're entertaining the idea of possible moving there.

I would really like to understand this as well. I just talked to an exhaust guy today and asked him if long tubes were illegal or would help you fail emissions. As far as he told me, they aren't illegal (granted local or state laws in your area could change this) and would NOT allow you to fail emissions by themselves. Where most people end up failing is because they don't have the emissions equipment hooked up, or removed it comepletly.

As far as the more CO2 idea, I understand where you are coming from, but (someone correct me if I am wrong) as far as I understand, exhaust won't create any of those bad components, the engine does. Exhaust only moves them away from the engine and out the back of the car. Now, if you installed LT and the corresponding H or X pipe, your emissions should not change from the original. Your engine is still putting out the same amount of exhaust, you only get a power advantage because it does not have to force air out of the exhaust now. Am I on the right track anyone?

well i sent an e mail to slp about this and hope to hear from them mon. or tues. i dont know if they will tell me the truth if they want a sale, but now im leaning toward not getting the l/t it is too much of a chance. i can throw a mid pipe on and off for emissions if i have to, but no way am i going to do this with long tubes. its sucks though, the l/t make so much torque! oh well

Your best bet man is to check with you State/County Laws. You should be able to fine a link on the dmv or dot site for your state on emission laws. Another thing you could do is actually ask an inspection site in your area. Just be like hey man, I am wanting to do this to my car, it will still have cats, will you guys be able to pass it. Most places if your cool with them will be cool with you. You might not get the answer your looking for, but you will know for sure :nice:

gruntman31 said:
I pass CO emissions with a MAC catted H. You should be able to pass with LT's.

That's great news that your catted H delivered! That means hopefully my catted X will pass as well.. But, most LT's don't have cats.. Really think about your stock H pipe. If FORD put 4 cats on my stock pipe to fall within Federal emissions guidelines, (and it's possible that 4 is over-kill) don't you think having anything less than that # would potentially jeopardize your ability to pass?? Cats were designed to heat up and convert excess co2 into harmless water and vapor... without cats, I don't see how you could possibly pass.. I could be wrong in my assessments... This is the only reason I haven't purchased LT's so far. Unless somehow your shop welded(s) cats onto your midpipe, I don't see anyone passing.. these laws are getting more and more strict..It's possible my catted X won't pass.. That's why I'm keeping my stock pipe... just in case.. The real test will be when fellow stangers start taking the test and letting us know. This won't hit Tejas, at least Austin for another year or so... I hope I made sense..:p

Don't know if the car will pass or not, but I have heard that long tube headers don't allow the catalytic converters to get up to operating temperature (i.e. they don't get hot enough), and thus cause more emission.

Is there any truth to this?

Bill

the l/t set up i WAS going to do did have two cats on their special shorty x.

good point about the cats being too far back. dont know if it is true, i really have no idea.

i think this is just going to be to much trouble for me i guess im stuck with a regular catted mid pipe for now.

however i might still go with the slp x cause if they all of a sudden get rid of emissions for some reason, or my car becomes a classic in 15 years or whatever it is, then i can get their l/t with out changing midpipe.

keep your options open! :nice:

warment said:
Don't know if the car will pass or not, but I have heard that long tube headers don't allow the catalytic converters to get up to operating temperature (i.e. they don't get hot enough), and thus cause more emission.

Is there any truth to this?

Bill

if they are ceramic coated they should keep enough heat in the exhaust to light off the cats, I'd drive around for 20-30 minutes before the test just to make sure they're at operating temps.

As far as longtubes changing the emissions, there are several factors, firstly being that more exhaust gases are actually exhausted from the combustion chamber so the next combustion process has less to dilute it, and so on. Thus you're burning more raw components that create emissions.