Guys with the 3550 tremec!!

Mr. Rustypwnz

Advanced Member
Jun 1, 2005
indianapolis/ valdosta ga
Im looking at getting one... I hate t5's as of right now, they want a damn fortune for em anymore and none last over a month.. (not using the clutch prolly dosent help any either) sooooooooooooooooooooo Ive been looking at these.

IF im correct!!?!! These will bolt in place of the t5 correct?

same output shaft?

same crossmember location?

same bellhousing?

thanks josh

• Sponsors (?)

Bell housing is different and the trans sits back alittle more then a T5 so you'll need a crossmember out of an AOD car or modify your current T5 one so you can slide it back more.

^^ What he said. Also you could just cut slots in your 5 speed cross member...that's how mine was when i got it.

As for the trany itself, i've had mine for 5 years this month and i pound the snot out of mine every time i drive it and it hasn't let up yet. Every now and then after really driving it hard, it doesn't wanna go into 3rd or 5th, but for some reason that only lasts a few minutes and then goes away...no idea why. Other than that i'd say it's a great trans...but my next will probably be a Liberty Shifted T5 since you can have them done for as little as $600 (unless i rebuild the 3550 when needed).

really only 600? is that for the rebuild and all? whats all in that deal?

I'm pretty sure all it is is a dog ring style internal setup without syncos, which is why they're so cheap. I could be wrong, that may be just for the parts and not the assembly...just what i've been told. I'd look into the pros and cons of driving a pro shifted 5 speed on the street before you consider it (if you don't know already).

i don't like the way my 3550 shifts.im not sure how to explain it but the throws seem longer on it too even with a tri ax.i honestly want to get rid of it and get an astro performance built t5.i like how t5s feel. you know they don't make the 3550 anymore right? they have the tko 500 and tko 600

okwell i've had both! my t5 was a astro one it shifted like a mofo and i loved it! i had the taller 1st in it and also 5th gear! i got a smoken deal on it it was 100% brand new except for a very very lightly used 1st gear. now my 3550 i HATE it! it came in my coupe and i had it rebuilt from 2nd to4th and it shifts like ****! well not to ****ty but the guy that built my t5 and my 3550 is a tremac rep and said the 3550's DONT like to shift at high RPMS! as the t5's dont care and are a lot smmother shifting trans BUT they suck cause they have a 2 piece main clkuster gear set. after about 1500 miles my 3550 grinds into 3 and 4 NOW this could be due to maybe my clutch isnt adjusted right? i dont know? soooo since it grinds i've been beating the **** out of it like crazy! 3500-4000 shifts no clutch full throttle LOL FTW! when it breaks i'm haveing the same guy (who i trust very much) rebuild it with the pro 50 kit or back to stock and i might find a t5 thats a caore and send it in for a astro one again. if it were me buy a astro equipt t5! as far as dog ring style gears...it sounds like the tranny will fall apart every NORMAL RPM shift but butter and sweet with the R's up! also the gears wont last as long! if i remember right astro said about 30,000 miles or so on a set of street driven dog gears. peace

john:p

guys with the 3550 tremec

Yes, Astroperformance is the best place to get rebuild kits for the T-5, and if you have the cheese, go with the A-5 kit. Tony@Astroperformance is very good to deal with and hes a straight shooter, got the parts for mine from them and very satisfied.

Attachments

• 100_0515.jpg
    100_0515.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_0518.jpg
    100_0518.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 75