Guys With Vortechs- Come Drink With Me And Share Your Thoughts

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
In the garage
So, I installed the Cougar/Contour dual fan today- replacing the Dodge 300 dual fan my tuner recommended as the car was creeping up to 205ish in stop and go traffic. At speed it would stay in the 180-185 range. Ok- install the fan- had to remove the upper hose to get the old fan out.Wired up the new fan Start the car up, Get it up to temp. Burp a ton of air out of the system with the Lisel funnel as the top hose was removed for clearance- idled for 10 minutues at 180 with the funnel attached and no bubbles coming out-.OK. Close everything back up. Start the car, turn the A/C on- Fans come on- Check. Car gets up to temp- Fans come on- Check. These fans move a ton of air- or so it seems more air than the Dodge fans. - a lot of hot air Check. :Let the car sit for 10 minutes at idlle- temp stays at 180- Check.

Here's where the fun ( not really) begins. I drive from my house to the gate- 3 blocks and the temp gets to 195. Drive a block- 205. Another block 210. Limp it back home. Let it cool down. Check all the hoses, No leaks, Check the fans- ONE working, ONE not now.... Jack the car up---- one of the connectors backed out of the fan. Ok easy. plug it back in.. Both fans blowing a ton of hot air on the engine. Let the car cool down. Check all the hoses and coolant level. Check.

Wait an hour- start the car. Let it idle for another 15 minutes- stays at 180. Take it out again. Same thing. Limp it back again. Car idled for 20 minutes again and cooled down to in betwen 180 and 195. No leaks, fans moving air, system burped. stat must be working.

Now my back is kiilling me and I'm starting to get pissed. Called it a night and sitting on ice and after 3 jack and cokes wheels are turning- not my usual diagnostic, cool mode..

Random thoughts.......... start with easiest first
  • Possible air still in systemvbut I doubt it- will reburp it tomorrow morning
  • Stat is working/not sticking
  • No weeping from Water pump/ cooling at ide was working fine before.
  • No leaks from hoses, radiator
  • Overflow attached and working
  • Car will idle fine for 20 minutes but temp shoots up in minutes when driving and stays there.
  • About an inch on top of radiator not covered by fans- wondering if moving fan up the radiartor makes a differeence
  • Wondering if putting back on old fans .
  • Dont want to start throwing parts at it- radiator is less than 2:" wide- may not be large enough with power adder
  • i doubt I blew a MLS gasket at 210- no smoke car idles fine
Only part swapped was fans. Cannot imagine moving more CFM causing this. Worked on many blown cars and first time for this one

Now 4 jack and cokes ...... back pain going away..

Thoughts appreciated

Pics of install and fan replacd
20160528_195831.jpg
20160528_195844.jpg
20160528_195941.jpg
20160528_200035.jpg
20160528_195831.jpg
20160528_195831.jpg

Attachments

• 20160528_195858.jpg
    20160528_195858.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I really have no advice to offer you buddy! With two supercharged Fox's I've just been lucky with my fan/rad combo's keeping temps down. Just keep working at it, you'll figure it out.
Your 2" radiator should be plenty I would think. My current simple/cheap SVE rad is 2" and works fine. It's matted up to a Flex-a-lite Black magic extreme 185. The Damn fan kit was nearly $400 bucks but moves 3300 CFM and my vert keeps the stock temp guage in the middle or even lower most of the time.

- What CFM are you current fans?
- Do you still have the lower air deflector in place?

Only happens when car is moving? Do you have the plastic lip that goes under the radiator? Ugh too much Memorial Day Cocktails are keeping the word from b popping up.

so after dicking around with the fan today, it jut didnt seem to be pulling enough air.. take it out- lay it side by side the dodge fan and turn on each one - the Dodge 300 fan blows this fan away. The Cougar/Contour is a 2 spd fan but I wired 12v straight to the fan, not the resister so it was on high.

Long story short, after a few hours of removing the Cougar/Contour fan, transferring the connectors, rewiing the Dodge 300 fan, reinstalling the Dodge 300 fan, burping the system, I started it up. car idled 10 degrees cooler 170. Took it for a drive, car is 180 and got as high as 195 when I got on it.

Seems for whatever reason the Cougar/Contour fan was not moving enough air, leading to the car running hot. Two days of getting back to square one but at least no blown HG or serious problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you using an adjustable fan controller? I use a 2" summit radiator and the contour fans and the only time it sees 200 is on 90+ degree days.

FAL 33054 controller.. thinking for some reason it was activating the Cougar fans at 60% due to soft touch, Read that guys had to hook up a manual toggle switch for this fan. All I can say is Dodge fan pulling much more air as evidenced by car running 15-20 degrees cooler. . Car was idling at 170 for 15 minutes.

Chrome plated steel lower hose- feels cooler than upper and the overflow working so the stat is opening and coolant flowing.

Last edited: