H/C/I Combo...what else will I need?

QUICK91LX

Founding Member
Dec 7, 2001
New Jersey
Just making sure I cover all my bases here...I have a good idea of what I am doing but I want to see if any of you have further insight or know of any certian things that work extra-well. Always good to get a second opinion.

Intake = Cobra/Explorer/GT40 with 3/8" spacer (havent purchased yet, currently looking for any one of those three)
Heads = GT40 Y303 aluminum 1.94/1.54 with 1.7 roller rockers (using FRPP Valvetrain kit #M-6090-X302)
Cam = E303 or similar (havent purchased yet, any recommendations? can I get away with re-using the stock lifters?)

Also will be running 3.73 gears, equal legnth shorty headers, 2.5" 2-cat H pipe and 2.5" 2-Chamber Flowmaster Cat-back

What recommendations can you guys give me for MAF, TB, injector and fuel pump upgrades? I was thinking of hanging on to the stock MAF for now, 65-70mm TB/EGR spacer, and 24# injectors with a 190lph fuel pump. I intend on retaining the stock distributor but considering going to an MSD 6al.

Any other input? Like most of us, I am on a budget...but I don't want to cut any vital corners. I guess I am just making sure I dont F-up something that my dumb ass overlooked. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

You can't really do an injector swap with the stock maf. The tables or whatever won't work well at all. You pretty much have it covered, but I highly reccommend a new water pump and thermostat. Those items are fairly cheap, and water pumps sometimes give trouble when you pull them off. Other than that, be sure you have all your gaskets, get all the bolts you need, the most important being head bolts. Be absolutely sure you have a set of those. Good luck.

You can't really do an injector swap with the stock maf. The tables or whatever won't work well at all. You pretty much have it covered, but I highly reccommend a new water pump and thermostat. Those items are fairly cheap, and water pumps sometimes give trouble when you pull them off. Other than that, be sure you have all your gaskets, get all the bolts you need, the most important being head bolts. Be absolutely sure you have a set of those. Good luck.

Its easier to leave the water pump bolted to the timing cover when you pull them off. You can also reuse the pan gasket (instead of cutting it and putting in a small insert) by carefully seating the timing cover on the old gasket so it sits back in the groove on the underside of the cover. Also a good time to get a SFI damper and replace the front seal. I highly recommend getting a cartrige roll kit and porting your heads & intake and portmatching them together, its worth the time!

If you swap to 24 lb/hr injectors, you'll need to get a new MAF. 190 pump is good for HCI, but if you ever intend to slap on a blower or whatever, get a 255. It won't hurt (and will give you room to grow)!

Does the valvetrain kit come with new pushrods? Aluminum heads and R.R.'s will require hardened push rods.

thanks for the input guys

the valvetrain kit does not come with pushrods but i will be getting them

sounds like for the time being i will retain the stock injectors and MAF, and upgrade those in the future as funds allow

H/C/I

I have a very similiar set-up on my 90 vert. (see signature). Here are my comments.
* Staying with the 19# injectors will minimize most of the computer issues around idle and low rpm drivability.
* I really like the short throw shifter
* For around town driving I am happy with the 355 gearing

Stick with the stock injectors till you are ready to get a new MAF. You may not need 24 lbs injectors and you can compensate for WOT with an adjustable fuel pressure regulater if you are running lean. Some new lifters might be a nice addition depending on how many miles you have on yours. I was unfortunately being cheap and had to replace mine fairly soon after doing my H/I/C which costed me money for the gaskets and a couple hours of my time. The stock distributor is just fine and the MSD 6al is a good choice, just finding a spot to mount it is a pain. 190lph fuel pump is fine for a N/A motor but if you plan to use some sort of power adder you might want to opt for a 255 now for only a few bucks more. Get a walbro fuel pump. Most companies just rebadge them(holley for example). As far as cams, you can't beat a custom cam but for an off the shelf, bang for the buck the TFS stage 1 would be my choice. It has a slight edge over the E cam and is cheaper. Note: be sure to check your piston to valve clearance seeing you are gonna put 1.7 rockers in there. For a throttle body, accufab is probably the best but if you are tight on funds, BBK isn't bad for the price. Good luck
Kevin