H-pipe/Header bolts!!!GRRR!!!!

zZsKyZz

Member
Dec 1, 2005
503
0
17
I tried PB blaster, liquid wrench, letting it soak... etc... The things are still on there as hard as a rock, I can't even budge them or break them loose. I push on them so hard that I actually end up moving myself across the ground instead of moving the nut off the bolt! :bang:

How the hell do you get these things off?!
 
Lots of guys end-up having to cut the nuts off. Mine came apart with very little effort, but I can offer a couple tips: Try heating the nuts up with a torch till they're almost glowing red, then douce them with PB blaster. It should get sucked right into the threads that way. But I usually just heat-up the nut and then immediately crank on it with all my might. Another thing I use is I bought a 36" breaker bar with a 1/2" drive and a set of deep impact sockets. It hasn't failed me yet, and has managed to take apart just about every tight bolt on my car. Worst case is you snap the stud this way, but if you're replacing the headers, that doesn't matter. Also, avoid using a 12-point socket, or you'll probably strip the nuts and have to cut them.
 
I used a torch... it seemed to work... try running the car hard for awhile... and heating up the headers.... then liquid wrench... use a 1/2 socket and a load of extensions... i eventually kept on it so hard i broke the bolt out of the header and just left it in the stock H-pipe...
 
Lots of guys end-up having to cut the nuts off.

Those guys are nothing but wieners. (subtle humor check). :D




All of the ideas presented are very good. I just use my 18" breaker bar but impact after tons of PB douching would be my choice for such a stubborn fastener. Even if the socket isnt spinning, the jarring can help.

Good luck.