Had a scary day on Monday

91ghp5.0

May 25, 2005
Somewhere
So I was driving back to college from home. Just had a wonderful spring break out skiing in Colorado with my girlfriend and her family. Didn't get to spend much time with my family though, so I was kind of bummed, and in a slump. Right after I get on the highway (4 hour drive), I'm on the phone with my girlfriend (just calling to say hello), and I'm following using the 2 second rule (or so) at about 65 MPH. People are still getting on the high way, so the traffic is slow.

Suddenly, I see the guy in front of me snap left, and I immediately throw the phone down to use two hands. It turns out the truck 2 cars in front of my didn't want one of it's tire treads any more. Bummer. I'm in the left hand lane (2 lanes), and I snap left to avoid the tread, my left rear tire catches dirt, I cut back to the right as I feel my left tire hit dirt, and over correct left. So that's left, right, left, and I'm ass-backwards, sliding through the median at about 60. Luckily everyone (including me) had slammed on their brakes, and I got off the road pretty quickly.

I'm very lucky the car didn't flip. The tires were screaming in agony, and I kept relatively good control of the car. It was by far the scariest moment of my driving career so far.

Damage to the car was minimal: Broken fuel line, broken brake line, lots of dirt had to be removed from the two passenger side tires, and there was about 10 lbs of dirt in the suspension. The tread smacked the passenger side bumper cover, needs to be repainted. We're hopefully getting insurance through the truck driver though.

The good news? The car was towed, and I got the Saleen for the next couple weeks. That's right, the Saleen that just dyno'd 504/508 rw numbers :)

Cliff notes: Dodged a tread and spun out in the middle of a major (I-75) highway, ending up in the median. Got a pretty sweet "rental."

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

lucky break man. not to threadjack but something kinda like that happened to me this last weekend. i was passing through a light that lead to an on-ramp to a highway. just as i was cruising throught the light the guy in the right had turn lane at the intersections decides he doesn't fell like waiting for me and instead pulls out in front. i had no time to brake, so i just veered around into some gravel and started fishtaling. it took a little coaxing, but i ended up calming it down and WAS gonna slow down and give the driver a piece of my mind, but i decided to just move on.