Had engine cleaned, now battery light coming on, suggestions?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i had my engine bay cleaned. they sprayed simple green i believe then steam cleaned it while the car was idling. we left and stopped to eat. ever since turning it back on the battery light is on.

it is on all the time at idle, when moving above 1500 rpm's it goes out. any suggestions what happened? its obviously alt. related since the lights dim a bit when the light comes on/off.

i blew on it with our blower, still on. should i give it awhile to dry or what? i called the place and all he is telling me is its my battery cables or the alt is "going out".

• Sponsors (?)

Well if your battery light is on, then its either not charging like it should be, or the computer just thinks its not charging. I had a problem with my dad's 91 ranger when I sprayed that engine bay down (used simple green as well), and ended up that I started overheating, but it turned out it was just the electrical connector.

Really dont know what to tell you. Maybe once everything dries out completely the problem will go away. You could unplug a few things and check if water got in the connector.

Hmmm...did they not bag the alternator when they were spraying it down?

Ummm...gotta ask. Why the friggin' hell would you let someone else clean a Cobra engine bay!?!? Shoulda made the dealer do it as a stipulation of buying the car.