halo headlight replacement

351 82GT

Founding Member
Mar 19, 2002
Just bought a 2000 mustang that already had aftermarket halo headlights installed but just noticed one side is out already. I never had these type of headlights before so I need to know what is involved in changing them or what type of bulb I need.

• Sponsors (?)

The "halos" are probably separate LEDs that are either not serviceable or are very tough to get at.

Replacements? I'm thinking:

lrs-13008i.jpg

from Latemodel Restoration.

Why would they make something that you would have to replace the entire assembly once a light went out? That does not make sense. Are "halos" and "angel eye" lights the same thing?

Why would they make something that you would have to replace the entire assembly once a light went out? That does not make sense.

It depends. Someone's pockets are a little deeper right now because the previous owner bought them. The OE, likely a Chinese operation, doesn't care about serviceability, reliability etc.

LEDs in "angel eyes" are not typically user serviceable. If you're a geek with electronic skills, a soldering iron etc, you may be able to replace an LED or fix internal wiring that's caused the problem but there probably isn't a parts desk somewhere you can call on to order "an LED assembly for a Mustang headlamp assembly with halos, part number xxxxxxx".

IOW, you're basically on your own to discover and fix the problem. LED burnt out, wiring problem, regulation issue etc.

Are "halos" and "angel eye" lights the same thing?

Yes. Everyone's tastes are different but IMHO, these don't really belong on a Mustang. That's why I provided a link to OE-style replacements. That entire Depo housing is something like $69 from LRS. So for $69 a side you can get back to OE appearance and lighting.

But if you like the halos then by all means keep them and see what you can do to fix the one that's acting up.

Ok, on a closer inspection, I noticed it's NOT the actual "halo" that's out, it the light that's inside the circle(halo). Is that a bulb that can be replaced or am I still screwed into buying an entire assembly?

I just can see ANY company designing these headlights that force people to replace the entire assembly when a light goes out. There almost HAS to be a replacement bulb in there....but I could be wrong I guess...

They claim that these zeon headlights are supposed to last the life of the car.

Define life of the car. To some people that is 50k miles. Seriously if I were you I would get either OEM or OEM reproduction headlights and get rid of the projector style lights.

My DD has HIDs stock and they have burned out, and we are talking a high quality German designed system.

Why would I want to go back to the inferior OEM lights that suck? If I'm going to do that, then I may as well get another set of aftermarkets that look and perform better than OEM and probably cost just as much.

The sad part is that I've asked people how actually HAVE these Halo lights on their cars and they don't know if the bulbs are replaceable or not....and some of these same people installed them theirselves...lol
It just blows my mind that NOBODY knows the answer.

Why would I want to go back to the inferior OEM lights that suck? If I'm going to do that, then I may as well get another set of aftermarkets that look and perform better than OEM and probably cost just as much.

The sad part is that I've asked people how actually HAVE these Halo lights on their cars and they don't know if the bulbs are replaceable or not....and some of these same people installed them theirselves...lol

What blows my mind is that you seem to expect people to intuit the make and model of the "aftermarket halo headlights" on your car and then be able to tell you exactly how they are constructed and whether or not individual parts can be serviced or replaced.

Why don't you provide manufacturer and model information? If you don't have it then stop expecting someone to know "the answer" since any answer offered in the absence of specifics would be pure speculation, sort of like my first reply: Sight unseen -- not even a photo of the lamps or their internals from you -- and without any information about the make or model of these "aftermarket halo headlights", I offered that the halo light source is likely an LED and is probably not intended to be serviced. They may be embedded in potting compound or conformal coat and/or they may be inside plastic enclosures that are ultrasonically or chemically welded which means to get to them, you need to cut plastic. Maybe to get to the halos you need to remove the headlight lenses which are likely fixed in place with an elastomer seal.

Who knows? We simply don't have enough information.

What blows my mind is you own these lights and have no clue yourself. How the hell would anyone else know if you, the owner, do not?

You have ugly cheap-ass aftermarket lights that are broken and demanding that someone tell you how to fix them after multiple people have informed you that they are, in all likelihood, unfixable. If you know so much, fix them yourself. Otherwise STFU and GTFO.

What blows my mind is you own these lights and have no clue yourself. How the hell would anyone else know if you, the owner, do not?

You have ugly cheap-ass aftermarket lights that are broken and demanding that someone tell you how to fix them after multiple people have informed you that they are, in all likelihood, unfixable. If you know so much, fix them yourself. Otherwise STFU and GTFO.

You haven't even seen what I have so how can you say they are cheap and ugly dickhead?

trinity GT...if I had the make and model number I would provide them but I dont because I bought the car with them already on.
I was hoping that maybe someone on here might have bought a set and installed them and repled by saying something like "Oh yeah...I remember when I installed mine I had to buy the bulbs for them" or "oh yeah...mine came with bulbs I had to install"

But nevermind though. I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out without the dickhead answers I have got like this last reply.

Everybody calm down. Let's take it a little slower. Dude, if you want help, let us see what we are working on. It would be a good idea to pull the problem unit and inspect it. You may find it is a plug and play set up and you have the burnt bulb to reference to get a replacement. Or at least you should find some identifying markings, a manufacturer name and/or part number. There are dozens of aftermarket units out there (styles and manufacturers) and it is unlikely that they all use the same components. This being said, a number of the aftermarket units require the installer to wire them up - splicing wires. When an owner does this they are likely to use the supplied plastic clamp on unit that punctures the wire jacket to make contact. These suck beyond all connections and could be the culprit - I have seen this many times on vehicle and trailer lights. Pull the light, take some pics and we will see if we can help. The LEDs are long life items and usually they are good but not getting power. When they do go however, it is more often than not that the designer did not factor their replacement into the equation and they are at that point disposable. Most HID and projector bulbs are replaceable. Which ones to use though will typically be manufacturer and style specific. So, none of use can tell you what part you need without knowing what you have. It's kinda like asking what starter to use without any make, model, year or engine size information.

You haven't even seen what I have so how can you say they are cheap and ugly dickhead?

trinity GT...if I had the make and model number I would provide them but I dont because I bought the car with them already on.
I was hoping that maybe someone on here might have bought a set and installed them and repled by saying something like "Oh yeah...I remember when I installed mine I had to buy the bulbs for them" or "oh yeah...mine came with bulbs I had to install"

But nevermind though. I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out without the dickhead answers I have got like this last reply.

Bottom line - There are multiple models of Halo Projector headlights, and this is the reason you're being met with hostility. Its like asking if anyone has "the aftermarket exhaust" and if they know how to fix it. There's numerous manufacturers and in lieu of an actual model number, which the cheapie china-made projectors won't have, you should have at least snapped a quick photo of what you have.

I can tell you from personal experience that most projectors, unless a factory option on the later years, suck. The rings are not designed to be serviced and some of them even make a simple headlamp bulb change a pain in the ass.

I'd suggest an aftermarket OE smoked (DARK smoke if you're brave like me) headlamp housing with a quality HID kit behind it.

Ok, I looked at the assembly and found they are made by Junyan, who I never heard of before, but anyway, I went to their website and they make replacement bulbs but they sell so many different replacement bulbs that I don't know which one I need. I send them an email asking which ones I need but haven't heard anything back yet.

This is what I have:

Attachments

• halo lights.jpg
    halo lights.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 295
Pull the other bulb and look for a part number. If not, buy them in pairs which is preferable anyways else one might be brighter than the other.

Their bulbs are selling for $70 each!! I doubt I will be buying two at a time. I'm thinking it might be a 9007 bulb type, like the OEM's are, except it's a HID bulb. I'm just wondering if these HID bulbs can be bought at a local auto parts store for less.

Ok. Need a little more information here.

First, those housings take an H1 bulb, not a 9007.

Now, you did not specify if you had HID's, which changes the bulb you'd be looking for. If you have HID's there will be ballasts mounted somewhere and usually a harness running to the battery for Hi's.

Standard H1 xenon bulbs can be had at your local auto parts store if you don't have HID's.

If you do in fact have HID's your only option is online vendors. And for that you need the brand of HID kit you are running.

Also one last thing, I've had personal experience installing and maintaining these particular headlights for some customers and take it from me, replace them...soon. The rings burn out rather quickly in some cases and cannot be serviced, the Hi-beam bulb is a bitch to change, and depending on who installed them, the custom wiring can be a problem. In one case I had a guy bring these in, the custom wiring done for all the extra LED's had been spliced using those quick disconnects and plastic quick splice connectors, which led to a small fire in the junction and just snowballed from there.

Ok. Need a little more information here.

First, those housings take an H1 bulb, not a 9007.

Now, you did not specify if you had HID's, which changes the bulb you'd be looking for. If you have HID's there will be ballasts mounted somewhere and usually a harness running to the battery for Hi's.

Standard H1 xenon bulbs can be had at your local auto parts store if you don't have HID's.

If you do in fact have HID's your only option is online vendors. And for that you need the brand of HID kit you are running.

Also one last thing, I've had personal experience installing and maintaining these particular headlights for some customers and take it from me, replace them...soon. The rings burn out rather quickly in some cases and cannot be serviced, the Hi-beam bulb is a bitch to change, and depending on who installed them, the custom wiring can be a problem. In one case I had a guy bring these in, the custom wiring done for all the extra LED's had been spliced using those quick disconnects and plastic quick splice connectors, which led to a small fire in the junction and just snowballed from there.

I did not see a ballast anywhere or any extra wires running over to the battery so it might be safe to assume they are an H1 bulb.
I guess my next question would be: how do you remove/install these bulbs? It doesn't look like the typical setup where you twist a plastic ring and pull the bulb out. From what I can see, there appears to be a rubber boot that can be pulled back and then there is a metal clip of some sort which might be what holds the bulb in place...not sure though. It looks like a bitch to replace even the low beam bulb. If it was the left side that was bad, the battery would have to be removed to get at anything!