Handz Detailed: 2004 Cobra Headlight Restoration #3

SRT Handz

I tripped & fell down and cut myself & got blood
Oct 10, 2004
La Mirada, CA
So this is the third set of Cobra Headlights I have done a restoration on.

I was at the gas station and was talking to an older gentleman about his low milage (15K) 2004 Cobra. We were talking about detailing and I noticed he had brand new Dark Smoked Headlights. I found out he still had the OEM Stock headlights sitting in his garage so I offered to buy them from him and the became mine!!!

I spent a good 5-6 Days on these lights. they were already in very good condition but i wanted them show car perfect!!! I sanded, and sanded, and sanded every defect out. It took alot of time but it was well worth it.

This is the best headlights restoration I have done to date. I spent the most time even doing a light a second time to ensure then best results. The Pics speak for themselves!!!

3M Wet/Dry Sand Paper
-1000 Grit
-1500 Grit
-2000 Grit

-3M Rubbing Compound w/Hexlogic Orange
-3M Machine Polish w/Hexlogic Black
-CG Rocket Polish w/Hexlogic Blue

-CG EZ-Creme Glaze
-Menzerna Powerlock

Left Side = Sanded
Right Side = Polished and Finished

IMG_4463Small.jpg

IMG_4466Small.jpg

IMG_4469Small.jpg

IMG_4470Small.jpg

Packed, Protected and Ready for Sale!!!

IMG_4471Small.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Looks awesome! I have a question for you if your willing to share the info. I have done several headlight restos on my own cars and others. I use the same wet sand/buff out type deal and they look new again but I find that in 6 months to a year they start to get oxidized again. Whats the secret to keeping them that way for longer?

Looks awesome! I have a question for you if your willing to share the info. I have done several headlight restos on my own cars and others. I use the same wet sand/buff out type deal and they look new again but I find that in 6 months to a year they start to get oxidized again. Whats the secret to keeping them that way for longer?

You have to keep any headlights protected with Wax/Sealant or they will fade just like your paint.

nice job!

how do you keep the headlamps fastened down when you resurface them? ive done a couple and always hold them in my hand. its very awkward and often leads to me being covered in white plastic residue after i wet sand them :rlaugh:

my method certainly works but i am curious if you have a different method?

You have to keep any headlights protected with Wax/Sealant or they will fade just like your paint.

The last set I did (on my 96' GT) I used a sealer but still getting oxidized again. It's not a huge issue since they are easy to remove and redo but aggrivating none the less. I kinda wanted a set of smoked lamps anyway so I might just buy a new set.

nice job!

how do you keep the headlamps fastened down when you resurface them? ive done a couple and always hold them in my hand. its very awkward and often leads to me being covered in white plastic residue after i wet sand them :rlaugh:

my method certainly works but i am curious if you have a different method?

no man should ever be covered in his own residue. eww.

fwiw, ive had good luck with hand-applying Meg's PlastX over the headlamps every time i wash my car. you just have to make sure you keep up with it so as to not need to take them out and resurface them and stuff. its great for the light oxidation accumulation you get on older lamps that might have been resurfaced already and are starting to show wear. The only tough part is matching the sound output to your speed.

:runaway:

The other thing you can do is hand apply Meg's PlastX over the headlamps everytime you wash the car. You just have to make sure you keep up with it so as to not need to take them out and resurface them and stuff.

:leaving: