Harmonic Balancer Problem

duo_z

Jan 24, 2009
So I have run into a slight problem with my early style 289. The harmonic balancer I bought doesn't clear my timing cover. I bought it before I knew how different this engine could be to the later style 289. So I never thought to be so cautious of it, it fit the crankshaft so I was happy. So since I need to get a different harmonic balancer does this mean I will have to rip my engine apart to get my rotating assembly rebalanced?

• Sponsors (?)

If you go with one that has the correct balance factor your should be fine.

Im interested in knowing what balancer you go with. I need to replace my stock one and would like an aftermarket one but have read that they dont clear the timing covers also.

Any recommendations?

So I have run into a slight problem with my early style 289. The harmonic balancer I bought doesn't clear my timing cover. I bought it before I knew how different this engine could be to the later style 289. So I never thought to be so cautious of it, it fit the crankshaft so I was happy. So since I need to get a different harmonic balancer does this mean I will have to rip my engine apart to get my rotating assembly rebalanced?

What harmonic balancer did you use? The stock 289, and 289HP, will clear any 289 timing cover.

If you used some aftermarket thing, any decent engine machine shop should be able to make the balance of your new one match the "doesn't clear" one, without ripping your engine apart.

What harmonic balancer did you use? The stock 289, and 289HP, will clear any 289 timing cover.

If you used some aftermarket thing, any decent engine machine shop should be able to make the balance of your new one match the "doesn't clear" one, without ripping your engine apart.

I was using a Summit Racing harmonic balancer. So I should be able to just buy a new one and take them both in and have them match the "doesn't fit" one?

There are several ways to go- The stock 289 damper, the 289HP heavy damper, or the 69 302 damper. All are 28oz imbalance, so could be balanced to work. The 289HP is quite expensive. The 289 is very reasonable. The 302 is a heavy type, and only about $30 more than the stock 289. If you need a heavy damper, for high rpm service, and are on a tight budget, that'd be the way to go.

Still curious, though, why the aftermarket one doesn't fit. I had a problem once with a 289HP damper, turned out there was a little too much iron on the bottom of the replacement water pump. A couple minutes with a die grinder, all fixed.

I didn't realize it until after the engine was together. It needs to either be a smaller diameter or have a bit of a step in it. If tightened it would protrude right into the timing cover. Not by much, but more then could be ground off. The stock has a step in it, but I figured because it was a heavier style it was different, not because it was wrong. It didn't really make me think about clearance problems.