harmonic balancer question

Mar 31, 2005
about 1,000 miles before i covered up the stang for winter, i replaced the stock harmonic balancer with an FMS replacement from mustangs unlimited. when i tried to put it on the back side of the balancer hit the water pump housing. i called up mustangs unlimited with no real luck since they said the product number matched from what they were told from FMS. so i called ford motor sport and they said that slight modification would be necessary- notching of the base of the water pump housing. after debating for a bit, i ground away some of the housing which i was assured was quite thick in this spot. once the car was running, there was about 2 credit card thicknesses between the pump housing and the balancer. Now the problem occurs. a few days ago i started the mustang just to let it run for a bit, i glanced down at the balancer and there is a little wobble to it, probably about 1/16-1/8 inch wobble or less, is that little wobble normal? ( and yes the replacement came with a rubber isolator like stock style.) Is it possible that the balancer is going bad again?...ALREADY!!?? i have driven the car so little since replacement and i havnt raced it at all. another thing that concerns me is that now im worried about the clearance of the pump housing. how close is too close? sorry for the long post... just trying to make things as clear as possible Thanks,
Kyle

• Sponsors (?)

ya, the thought had crossed my mind that maybe i was just seeing the offcenter wieght whip around and i was imagining it... but i looked for a while and i seriously think it has a wobble, no rubber popping out yet(thank god its only been 1,000 miles) but just to ease my mind about it, does anyone else have such little clearance?

If you have a magnetic base (even a welding magnet can work) and a dial indicator, attach it and turn the motor over by hand. Note the run-out of the new balancer (that optical illusion sure plays with your eyes, doesnt it).

Good luck.