Harmonic balancer wobble.

I have a 95 mustang gt. I will try to attach video of balancer wobble. It's lil more obvious by eye.

I think I should definitely change it.

Car sat for years before I bought it

Tires were dry rotted, belt was too. I'm sure harmonic balancer rubber has dried up as well.

Some vibration can be felt in car, but not terrible.

Should I just get Doorman replacement or something better?

Also in video you can see a lot of oil sweating, not dripping or anything.

I think it's the gasket. Front main seal looks good so why would rear seal go out?

Has 132k but odometer isn't working.
Thanks.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/lTnT1Sr9_Qc?si=xDERY39qq85sE8bz

• Sponsors (?)

I changed my balancer years back with a stock one, rear main seals tend to leak more often then frount seals

Reactions: 1 user
The parts store replacements will work and are OK. There are a few better more costly options depending on how you plan to drive the car.

The FMS unit is about $375 or an ATI Super Damper is about $425 and both are great units. I run the ATI on my Coupe and the FMS on the T-Bird as they both have fairly high end motors. If I were running a HCI 302 motor I would probably just run the $100 OEM replacement Power Bond unit and move on.

• Agree
It's very hard to beat the Pioneer SFI approved balancers in any way. The elestomer balancers provide better protection that the fluid ones, and with the SFI approved ones, you know you are getting a quality product.

Kurt

Years ago on my first Foxbody, I had the bearings go out on the fan clutch……. Caused a wicked vibration in the whole driveline. I thought it was the throwout bearing….. changed that, vibration still there. Realized fan clutch was wobbling, fixed that and all was good again.

PowerBond PB1084ss . That’s what I use on everything . This is made by gates or dayco racing i can’t remember which. This unit is a sfi rated unit . The finish is nice , timing marks laser etched .

My car has the internal balance version on it . Can’t beat it for the price

The fms replacement units are garbage in my opinion and they don’t even come marked with the timing marks .

Pretty sure Dayco makes them. The different ones are at the bottom of this page:

Pretty decent article on comparison of the different types but it’s between ATI, Fluidampr, and TCI so the sales pitches are in there:

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/engine/ati-fluidampr-tci-offer-expert-damper-advice/

Article on damper design:

Last edited:
While i'm all for high end balancers, i'm not so sure that's what i would do if the OP has just purchased an old stock 5.0 mustang that has been sitting. I'm sure there are bigger concerns and money to be spent other places.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
While i'm all for high end balancers, i'm not so sure that's what i would do if the OP has just purchased an old stock 5.0 mustang that has been sitting. I'm sure there are bigger concerns and money to be spent other places.
That’s why the powerbond unit for the money is the real deal . The ford replacement is junk . Not even marked

Yes, lots of concerns. Lots of maintenance to be done.
I'm still figuring out if it balancer or something else. I think it's best to know what needs to be replaced before Starting to replace bunch of parts.

I'm thinking it could be driveshaft. It's has vibration at 2 k rpm, on acceleration and declaration.

Is that something related to balancer? Vibration on declaration?

3 k rpm I don't notice vibration, 4k rpm also.

And 2k rpm vibration isn't too horrible but still concerning , I've read others said their vibrations are very obvious with shifter bouncing hard side to side with harmonic balancer problems.

Pull the driveshaft out and take it to a driveline place and have them spin it up. They can replace u-joints, worn yolks, balance, and sometime even get a bend out of them.

When you go through the rpm range in neutral, does it vibrate? If so, it's engine related. If not, drivetrain.

FWIW, I have a new Pioneer balancer sitting on a shelf, never used. You can have it for the cost of shipping if you end up needing one. I ended up buying a used engine that came with a nice balancer, so never used the new one I had bought.