Has anyone ever swapped over all the wiring from a new mustang into a classic?

i am thinking it may be easier to just buy a rollover and swap over all the wiring along with the running gear... this way I could modernize the wiring and not have to buy a patched up conversion wiring kit. Is this feasible or would i be wasting my time and money?

oh and in case people didn't see my previous post, i'm in the planning stages of dropping a 4.6L/5spd into my 69 convertible (along with a mII front end and possibly a cobra IRS)

• Sponsors (?)

simplyJ said:
i am thinking it may be easier to just buy a rollover and swap over all the wiring along with the running gear... this way I could modernize the wiring and not have to buy a patched up conversion wiring kit. Is this feasible or would i be wasting my time and money?

oh and in case people didn't see my previous post, i'm in the planning stages of dropping a 4.6L/5spd into my 69 convertible (along with a mII front end and possibly a cobra IRS)
You'll end up with miles of unused wiring in the car, and lots of hacks and splices. Bringing the donor wiring across is the least clean and reliable way to do it.

blkfrd said:
I don't quite know why people use painless wiring harnesses instead of replacement harnesses, but then again I don't know much about them.
1) Modern TXL wiring that is much more chemical and temperature resistant than the original wiring.

2) Modern blade-type fuses that are more consistant, reliable, and easier to replace.

3) More upgradeable and friendly to common restomod upgrades such as power accessories, sound systems, hi-amp alternators, etc.

simplyJ said:
do you think that rewiring it myself with a painless kit would be a better alternative than getting a pre-fabbed wiring harness meant for this swap?
"better" is up to you. if you think you can do a better job than what the aftermarket has to offer, then do it yourself. if you dont have much wiring skills, then buy a premade harness. it all depends on your ability.

I have installed a complete wiring harness from a 2003 Falcon into my 66. This enables all the electrics in a modern car to be put in a restomod.

The wiring is all hidden. I am no auto electrician and It can be done, just requires lots of patience.

Marshall said:
I have installed a complete wiring harness from a 2003 Falcon into my 66. This enables all the electrics in a modern car to be put in a restomod.

The wiring is all hidden. I am no auto electrician and It can be done, just requires lots of patience.

Can I have some more details? I was hoping to use pretty much everything from the donor car... from the seats to the gauge cluster. Did you intergrate everything into your old dash or did you swap in the falcon dash? What areas caused problems for you?

I used the whole harness after removing the wires for the trunk solenoid,fuel cap, speaker wires (installed an aftermarket stereo) cabin lights and a few others which wernt needed.
I installed the falcon dash to use all the switches and guages, also used the falcon wiper motor. was easy to wire up the stang electric windows, seats and mirrors , also have the falcon heater/air con. even cruise control is easy if the motor is from the same car as the wiring.

Biggest headache was narrowing the dash 6". I would recommend adapting the guages and switches to the stang dash or choosing a donor dash which is the same width as the stang. Bulk of the wires from the cabin to the lights and relay box alongside the radiator run under the guards.

will post a pic .
marshall