Has anyone used this Suspension Kit?

• Sponsors (?)

Question: I need to do my rear suspension, as the body rubs on the tires when I go over a dip, or turn. I am running 15's in the back, and I like they way my car sits. I think the rear leafs may be worn out.

The question is this: Do I need to just change the shocks or change the entire rear suspension if my fenders are rubbing on my tires when I turn hard or go over little dips in the road ? I never have done leafs before, and I was reading this thread thinking to myself.....whoa..:shrug:

Your tires should not rub at any point in your suspension travel. If they do, the problem is the rim and tire size, not the spring rate. If the problem is not too severe, you can roll the fender lips and that will usually take care of it. If not, then you need new rims or skinnier tires.

The best way to do leaf springs is to find a local spring shop that will fab them for you and will commit up front to working with you to get the ride height you want. All this "one inch lowering," "standard eye, mid-eye-reverse eye" stuff is no guarantee how any given spring pack will sit on any given car.

If you ignore my advice and mail order your springs and they come out too high, another option besides lowering blocks is to take the smallest leaf off the spring pack you're taking off and clamping it upside down to the new spring pack, like this:

spring_middle_r.jpg

That plate is part of a Slide-A-Links traction bar setup. You can see the rod end hanging down below. The plate is reversible. I think you could use the extra hole for a tie-down when towing.

I have the Mustang's Plus kit on my '66. Upgraded to the 5 leafs (mid-eye) and KYBs (slightly rough ride, but not too bad). In addition, I cut 3/4 coil off the 620s and added a 1" lowering block to the rear. This gave it a slight rake to the front, but it sounds like every Mustang differs slightly. And never scraped my tri-Ys yet.

Even though I have a good-bad relationship with Mustang's Plus, it convenient to purchase their products on eBay (cheaper than there catalog price) and pick them up locally (I work down the street from them).

I just ordered the Street Performance Kit from Mustang Depot on Tuesday.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Suspension/susp-kit.htm

I upgraded to the Maiers Racing 160 low 4 1/2 leafs (drop ~ 1 inch) and racing shackles with the 600 coil springs up front.

From reading this thread, it sounds like I will need to do some adjustments to get the ride height I am looking for. Regardless, it has to be better than what I have right now... the stink bug stance where my hood is higher than my trunk deck. lol

I also shelled out the extra dough for the roller spring perches...

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Suspension/spring-perches.htm

I hope they are worth it. Plan on doing the Shelby drop on the front this summer or fall when I get the extra dollars to play with. Don't know what components I am going to go with yet... Global West or TCP, etc.

Well the tracking numbers have the packages arriving next Thursday... can't wait to get in the garage!