Have to replace front bumper, grill, etc. due to accident

cruiser94

Feb 21, 2006
Cypress, TX
Hi all,

Well, I had a bad experience driving into work this morning :bang: ...was in a turning lane and the cars ahead started going and I followed suit, but then the woman in front of me stopped suddenly and unexpectedly and I was unable to stop without hitting her due to the excessive amount of dirt and debris on the road (lots of construction going on nearby). I couldn't have been going more than 10-15 mph, but it was enough for her trailer hitch to come up and over the top lip of my bumper and get wedged. There wasn't a scratch on her Explorer and I don't think my car even made contact with it other than the hitch. We had to jack up her rear end and push my car out from underneath the hitch as I was afraid if we forced it the whole front end would have been ripped off. As it stands, it is completely drivable though not pretty to look at. Thankfully nobody was hurt either.

Anyway, I seriously doubt this warrants an insurance claim but does anybody have any idea what it might cost to get fixed? I think I just need a new bumper cover and upper grill (been wanting the "Eleanor" center-fog grill anyway!), but not sure about the lower grill (didn't think to look at it yet and the car is way out in the parking garage at work at the moment). I have vinyl stripes on the car but they only covered the lip of the bumper cover anyway so might not worry about getting that redone. The car is Satin Silver if that matters for paint cost.

And should I take it to the dealer or does anybody know of a good repair shop in northwest Houston?

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

The grille and bumper cover is like a 'snap-tight toy.' If all the tabs are intact on your bumper cover its probably still good and just needs to be repainted. This is an opportunity to get an eleanor grille. Can't wait for mine.

ps: I am the IT Manager at your place of work.

Thanks for the tips and advice everybody...this is indeed an opportunity to upgrade! :D I checked my fogs last night and they didn't come on, but I'm hoping the harness just got disconnected. None of the light covers got messed up and the bulbs look intact as well.

I was quoted a price of $350 for the California Special front fascia kit, which includes the lower grill. That is supposed to be a pretty good discount from my dealer. My body man said he would charge $250 to paint and install it.

Looks good. Can you post a photo of the rear too?
What did you have to pay Ford for the fascias? Is $350 for the front a good price and $250 for the rear?
Thanks. Is it possible to put a screen of some kind in that front opening. Looks like you could suck a bird up in there. Anyone try a black screen. Would love to see that.

Thanks for the tips and advice everybody...this is indeed an opportunity to upgrade! :D I checked my fogs last night and they didn't come on, but I'm hoping the harness just got disconnected. None of the light covers got messed up and the bulbs look intact as well.

My fog lights only go on when the engine is running, not even with ignition in 'on' position.

Yes, I think I'm really loving the C/S front fascia as well! The msrp on fordaccessoriesstore.com is $399 (Part Number: 6R3Z-6320049-AA). That site is cool because you can preview how it will look on the car and you can even pick your paint color! It's cool to toggle it back and forth to see the differences.

Thanks for the pic, Apex, looks awesome! Would also like to see the rear though I will probably just get the front to start (vinyl stripes to contend with).

bluecar, good call on the fogs, I'll have to check them again with the ignition on.

I've seen other posts quoting ~$250 to paint and ~$150 to install but sounds like there are better deals to be had.

A couple more questions:

Does the replacement C/S kit come with the bottom tray? I lost mine a few months ago after I got stuck on a piece of rebar sticking up out of a parking block that I didn't see. When I backed up, the rebar gouged the underside of the fascia but also knocked the lower grill loose on the passenger side, as well as pulled the tray out from under the lip of the fascia. I stuck the tray back up in the right position, but after a high-speed run it got ripped off the car by the wind!

Also, is the upper grill pattern the same on the C/S as it is on the GT? My upper grill also needs to be replaced and I have had my eye on one of the center-fog models. I think Street Scenes has one and so does 50resto. Any experience with these? I think the original SS model had fitment problems.

Thanks!

A couple more questions:

Does the replacement C/S kit come with the bottom tray? I lost mine a few months ago after I got stuck on a piece of rebar sticking up out of a parking block that I didn't see. When I backed up, the rebar gouged the underside of the fascia but also knocked the lower grill loose on the passenger side, as well as pulled the tray out from under the lip of the fascia. I stuck the tray back up in the right position, but after a high-speed run it got ripped off the car by the wind!

Also, is the upper grill pattern the same on the C/S as it is on the GT? My upper grill also needs to be replaced and I have had my eye on one of the center-fog models. I think Street Scenes has one and so does 50resto. Any experience with these? I think the original SS model had fitment problems.

Thanks!

Here is a pic of the rear. No the bumpers do not come with the bottom Tray. You need to order a total of 4 parts. The bumper, the honeycomb lower trim pieces (2), and the tray.

Glad to help!

View attachment 356485

Is the rear fascia one piece or does it consist of some additonal parts as well? ford sells a kit with all of the pieces for the front. I have seen only one part number for the rear.
I am liking the looks of this more and more. thanks for posting the photos.

It is only one piece. I was not required to order anything else for the rear aside from the fascia.

The rear fascia looks much better now that I have the FlowMasters installed with the larger tips.

Good luck!

here's my Cali with 4" tips
Cali035.jpg

front, that unfortunately doesn't look like this right now since somebody backed into her when she was parked at the gas station...
Cali021backgroundcopy.jpg

I feel your pain...luckily, I just got away with a scuffed bumper, broken turn signal bracket and torn wheel liner. Bumper gets painted Friday and I'll probably be throwing in some black turns if there's any money left afterwards.

Attachments

• Cali035.jpg
    Cali035.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Cali021backgroundcopy.jpg
    Cali021backgroundcopy.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 169