hazards work but turn signals dont

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
on my way to work my passenger side window and turn signals stopped working but my hazards still work, no idea why, checked fuzes. i read that there is a flasher box or something under the dash but dont know where, any ideas?? thanks

Joel

• Sponsors (?)

The first thing I would check for is the hardshell connector on the multifunction switch. Remove the steering column shroud and unscrew the multifunction switch. Gently pull on each wire where it goes into the connector ON the multifunction switch. If any of the wires feel loose or actually come out of the connector, you just need to replace the connector. It is a common problem.

The connector can be had at any Ford dealership, just tell them you need a hardshell connector for the multifunction switch. Then unpin each wire one at a time and plug them into the new connector in the same location.

The first thing I would check for is the hardshell connector on the multifunction switch. Remove the steering column shroud and unscrew the multifunction switch. Gently pull on each wire where it goes into the connector ON the multifunction switch. If any of the wires feel loose or actually come out of the connector, you just need to replace the connector. It is a common problem.

The connector can be had at any Ford dealership, just tell them you need a hardshell connector for the multifunction switch. Then unpin each wire one at a time and plug them into the new connector in the same location.

+1 and there bad about get hot and melting.

i had an issue once with my signals and hazards,, couldnt figure it out,, my friend even changed my turn signal stalk.. after it kept happening i oneday got frustrated and i pulled gently on the harzard switch.. itll pop foward some dont be nervous,,, ull now have slgiht room behind the button gently stick in a key in that space ,,i used the key from my club its roundish as to not make any marks or srcatches... now grab the harzard and gently pull it and pry the key at the same time ... the switch will pop out.. the old factory switch i guess had a rough life i dont know how,,, but the wires werent makin good contact all i did was push them in tight .. electrical taped eveyrthing in place closed it and pushed switch back in that was three years ago never had a problem since. And the key thing sure beats taking off your dash to get at those wires,, plus it served as a mini raceway to sneak wires through when i was installing my gauges the following spring cuz i used the "key" method...again. :)

so where exactly above the fuse panel is the flasher of the turn signals, i'll check that and the mulitfunction switch/hardshell tomorrow when its light out. is the hardshell a dealership only item? or can i get it at like kragen or someplace like that?

so where exactly above the fuse panel is the flasher of the turn signals, i'll check that and the mulitfunction switch/hardshell tomorrow when its light out. is the hardshell a dealership only item? or can i get it at like kragen or someplace like that?

i think they are in different places for different years of cars. most say theirs is behind the glove box, but i know for a fact, my 91 does NOT have one there. my original stock one was behind the center console (radio).

The flasher is not mounted on the front of the fuse panel. The flasher on the front of the fuse panel is a separate one for the hazard lights. It is in one of several places, depending on when your car was made. Some are behind the fuse panel on the back side, others are behind the radio and some are behind the glove box.

Other possible problem sources for the turn signal malfunction are the ignition switch, multifunction switch and the plastic shell that holds the turn signal wiring connector pins.

A word of caution about multifunction switches is in order here. The multifunction switch (high/low beam, wiper, turn signals) are different for different years. 87-98 will work in any 87-89 car. The 90-93 switches only work in 90-93 cars. You can't put an early model switch in a late model car, nor can you put a late model switch in an early car.

Supposedly you can move the pins around to make the switches work in model years that are different from the car the switch came out of. I cannot verify that and haven’t tried it .

The following diagram is for 87-89 model cars.

Turn signal switch wiring:
attachment.php