head light aiming???

• Sponsors (?)

i had this problem too, i bought a set of all-clears and they were aimed downward too... i didn't have a tool to do the job so i took it to a shop and had them align it, but its still not exact... haha need to take it somewhere else i guess

If you bought Genuine Ford headlights, the adjustment will be easy. If you bought reproduction headlights, they will be very difficult to align properly. I bought reproduction units, and my headlights cannot be aligned: they shine up in the trees and across the road. I even have all 3 screws set up as adjustment screws.

The adjustment screws are upper inside and lower outside screws. If the headlights were re-assembled properly, they will have a 5/32" hex on the screw. You can use a 1/4" ratchet with a 5/32" socket. The upper screws can be reached with the hood up, while the lower screws may require you to lay on the ground in front of the car and reach them from the bottom.

To align the headlights, find a level spot with a wall 25-30 feet away. Disconnect the driver light and align up the passenger light so that the light pattern is slightly below of the actual centerline of the headlight. This is to illuminate the right hand side of the road. Reconnect the driver light and disconnect the passenger light. The driver light should be aimed so that the light pattern on the wall is inward about 6" and slightly below the centerline of the headlight. This keeps you from blinding the oncoming cars. Disconnecting and reconnecting the headlights helps to show which headlight is shining in what direction. Reproduction headlights may shine in several directions at the same time, making it very difficult to align them if both lights are on at the same time

One Stangnetter recommends putting a fender cover over the headlight that isn't being aligned. I like his idea, it's simpler than disconnecting the lamps.

Jrichker that sounds like a cool idea. I never thought of doing it that way.

The correct way to adjust them is to use a headlight aligning tool, but they are expensive and hard to find. If the headlights have the three little dimples on them, one at the top and two on the bottom, then a shop can use the tool. Check with your local shops if you don't feel like messing with it. The best thing about using a shop is that they usually warranty work that they have done.

Stang951 said:
The correct way to adjust them is to use a headlight aligning tool, but they are expensive and hard to find. If the headlights have the three little dimples on them, one at the top and two on the bottom, then a shop can use the tool. Check with your local shops if you don't feel like messing with it. The best thing about using a shop is that they usually warranty work that they have done.

:lol: So that's what those darn dimples are for. And I thought all this time they were there to tear up my carwash sponges.