Head swap 96GT with 99PI heads

mstangtony

Mar 1, 2004
past weekend i did a head swap on a 96GT with 99PI heads. the swap went great, just need to install the radiator fan switch to the intake manifold. some lights are coming on now and then.. grr. anyways big problem is that at first it wasnt doing this: when i stomp on the gas. it sound slike there is a misfire. but im not sure it is really as a misfire from the sparkplug or anything. its fast when RPMs are high and slow when RPMs are down. but lke i said only when i stomp on the gas. does anyone know what it could be or soomeone who has a 96GT and swapped PI heads on their car had this problem? thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

mstangtony said:
past weekend i did a head swap on a 96GT with 99PI heads. the swap went great, just need to install the radiator fan switch to the intake manifold. some lights are coming on now and then.. grr. anyways big problem is that at first it wasnt doing this: when i stomp on the gas. it sound slike there is a misfire. but im not sure it is really as a misfire from the sparkplug or anything. its fast when RPMs are high and slow when RPMs are down. but lke i said only when i stomp on the gas. does anyone know what it could be or soomeone who has a 96GT and swapped PI heads on their car had this problem? thanks!
i read in an article (im doing the swap next weekend) that it is possible for it to hesitate just like you're describing due to it not being tuned

RysRed96GT said:
i read in an article (im doing the swap next weekend) that it is possible for it to hesitate just like you're describing due to it not being tuned

Do you think it could be that? i mean i dont even have a chip tho. i was told that if anything it could be that my coilpacks might need to be changed to MSDs or something because of the power. but i dunno bout that.. also maybe 96GT computer isnt recognizing the 99 PI heads? its weired.

Ford reccomends you upgrade your computer...which you can find at ford racing....A hypertech programmer might not be a bad idea either. That way when you mod they can email you new programs and then you dowload them into your prog and then to the car....chips just arent worth it when you have to pay 80 for a reburn and 35 from hypertech for a new program and to start they cost about the same.

stangchef said:
Ford reccomends you upgrade your computer...which you can find at ford racing....A hypertech programmer might not be a bad idea either. That way when you mod they can email you new programs and then you dowload them into your prog and then to the car....chips just arent worth it when you have to pay 80 for a reburn and 35 from hypertech for a new program and to start they cost about the same.
how much does this hypertech programmer cost? where can i get one? is there a site for it?

RysRed96GT said:
how much does this hypertech programmer cost? where can i get one? is there a site for it?

fill me in on the info too. could possably be the computer not functioning with the heads.. but could be wrong. my friend never had a problem with it and he has a 97 with PI heads :shrug: