Header Weld Grinding

Sparky714

Oct 16, 2015
North Dakota
My BBK shorty headers have a lot of extra weld material in the ports. Enough where it looks like it causes some restriction. Would I gain anything by trying to smooth this out or is it just a waste of time on headers?
2016-01-23 18.52.34.jpg
2016-01-23 18.52.20.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

My BBK shorty headers have a lot of extra weld material in the ports. Enough where it looks like it causes some restriction. Would I gain anything by trying to smooth this out or is it just a waste of time on headers?
2016-01-23 18.52.34.jpg
2016-01-23 18.52.20.jpg

If it was flying at Mach 3, I would get worried and do some smoothing. Since it isn't moving anywhere near that fast, it is whatever makes you feel good.

An air powered die grinder (less than $30 at Harbor Freight) and another $30 spent on a 1/2" diameter carbide rotary file will do the job. If you don't have a good 40 gallon tank or larger air compressor, or the $60 for the proper tools, forget about it. A Dremel tool or electric drill just isn't up to the job.

Reactions: 1 users
If it was flying at Mach 3, I would get worried and do some smoothing. Since it isn't moving anywhere near that fast, it is whatever makes you feel good.

An air powered die grinder (less than $30 at Harbor Freight) and another $30 spent on a 1/2" diameter carbide rotary file will do the job. If you don't have a good 40 gallon tank or larger air compressor, or the $60 for the proper tools, forget about it. A Dremel tool or electric drill just isn't up to the job.

I've already got the tools. I just cleaned up the areas that had a lot of excess weld. Thanks for the reply's guys. :nice: