headers that fit 65 w/manual???

Jon350

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2001
SoCal
I'm in the process of going from my c-4 to a t-5z with the road racing 5th gear in my 65fb. My problem is that i noticed a lot of headers out there are for designed to easily fit around automatics. Those of you that didn't break the bank with JBA's or something similar let me know what you've found as far as pricing, fit, and over all quality.
FYI: I've already gone through tri-y's, headman Elite's, and headman shorty's.

• Sponsors (?)

Jon350 said:
I'm in the process of going from my c-4 to a t-5z with the road racing 5th gear in my 65fb. My problem is that i noticed a lot of headers out there are for designed to easily fit around automatics. Those of you that didn't break the bank with JBA's or something similar let me know what you've found as far as pricing, fit, and over all quality.
FYI: I've already gone through tri-y's, headman Elite's, and headman shorty's.

About 15 years ago, I got a set of Blackjack long tube headers (I think hedman owns them now) for around $80. They work, but I had to take apart the clutch linkage to get the driver's side on, then snake it back through the tubes to reinstall. What a PITA. Steering linkage hits one of the tubes, but doesn't impact turning radius a noticable amount, just puts a dent in the tube. So far they are holding up fine except for the finish. This was back when ceramic coated headers were first coming out and cast 5X more. Probably doesn't help you much, just relaying my experience.

I have a set of Hooker Super Comps and they work well but I also have the same problem with the steering linkage denting tubes on each side. They also hang pretty low to the car. They are great for drag racing but no so good for road course or street cars (especially if lowered) due to minimal ground clearance. They are pretty pricey as well but I honestly don't remember how much they were. The coating on them has held up very well. Hope that helps.

I'm running a set of flowtech headers and they work great. the only "problem" I had is on cyl numbers 5 and 6 you have to use a smaller size head, header bolt. I used a header bolt with a 3/8 size head. the rest are 7/16. You get the gaskets, bolts and flanges with the kit. Oh yeah I'm running a 4 speed with the z bar linkage and everything clears. Switching to a t5 soon so they should work fine with a t5.

I run Flowtech full length headers. I originally had a C4 when I purchased them. When I swapped to my 6 speed I had to grind off some of the scattershield flange so that they would fit. The flange does extend pretty far.

clear1.JPG

6speed.jpg

I use Hooker Comps (6901-1) on my '65 fastback with 5.0L engine installed. These fit nicely on my car but there are several considerations:

a. The shock towers have added clearance so on a stock '65 car the clearance will be tight.

b. I have a pivot adapter for the clutch linkage. It attaches at the bell housing. I had to grind an arc into the pivot adapter for the 3L tube.

c. No dents were needed to the headers themselves.

d. The z-bar linkage for clutch had to be removed to install the headers and replaced after the headers were bolted up. The z-bar fits through the headers and does not contact them.

e. While some folks claim their Hooker Comps hang low, they should be fine if you refit your '65 with '66 frame brackets/motor mounts. Mine tuck up nicely against the floorboards. My car is lowered and I have stiff suspension. Haven't clunked them yet but I'm sure I could if there were speed bumps in my path.