headers

bought a set of bbk headers about a month ago, had nothin but leaks since, i noticed that on every port, the part of the gasket that sticks out over top the header was cracked, and even looked slightly burnt, this is the new gasket that came with the header, they are the carboard like style, has anyone else had this prob. with aftermarket headers, and do u think it would do me any good to go get gaskets that are metal? i MUST get rid of that annoying putterin sound where they r leakin all over the place!!:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Yup, the stockers suck for leaks. That burned, cracked area is where you are leaking from.

I've even had leaks with the Fel-Pro 1415's and even a set of Mr. Gasket header gaskets.

Gonna try the copper ones next

riceater89-5.0 said:
bought a set of bbk headers about a month ago, had nothin but leaks since, i noticed that on every port, the part of the gasket that sticks out over top the header was cracked, and even looked slightly burnt, this is the new gasket that came with the header, they are the carboard like style, has anyone else had this prob. with aftermarket headers, and do u think it would do me any good to go get gaskets that are metal? i MUST get rid of that annoying putterin sound where they r leakin all over the place!!:shrug:
ooh man bbks header gaskets claim another victim.......................toss em man go with fell-pro i blew mr. gasket one's too.

BBK has good stuff...

This topic is really a FAQ, but someone helped me when I did this, so here it goes...

BBK has really quality parts, I personally have a few of their products, and I am going to purchase a 70mm TB, and 70mm EGR spacer really soon, they are not however good at supplying quality header gaskets. Buy a set of Fel Pro header gaskets from Jegs, and save the hassle of leaks.

I put the BBK shorties on with the supplied bolts, and some Threadlock, or Loctite whichever you can get is fine.

Be sure and torque them down while the engine is a little warm.

Other than that, set em and forget em. It might not hurt to check them every once in a while, and do listen for leaks.

Fel Pro Gasket number:375-1415 - $21.99
Stock or Small Race Port Port Size: 1.25'' x 1.48''

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3544&prmenbr=361

fiveohGT said:
Are all BBK's parts this shoty?

BBK's fit well, and are in generally well made. Probally the best bang for the buck and easy bolt in installation. However their flange and collectors arn't near as nice as say Hookers.

As far as gaskets are concerened, it's coppers all the way. Summit sells Flatout brand which is actually really beefy and sturdy. I haven't used them, but have them. I have copper gaskets on now. One other good thing is they are reusable on the same car/header if you ever have to remove them. If they do start to leak due to a bolt loosening, you can just retorque them and no problem. If you have to change them, you won't have to scrape the petrafied gasket material. Fiber gaskets can't do this, once the leak, they are shot, one use only, and they don't come off clean.

The disadvantage of the coppers is they need retorquing. I'll eventually get some of the locking header bolts. Otherwise they are much better. I have BBK longtubes, and I can tell you that I was sooo mad when I had to R&R the Longtubes because the BBK paper craps tore out.

Fel-Pro 1415's are doing very well on my car. I blew out the crappy cardboard ones and a less expensive set of Fel-Pros, but the 1415's have been working well. The quality of the gasket compared to the cheaper kind is something you can notice as soon as you take them out of the package, and the price is pretty reasonable, about $25.

fordman54935 said:
Fel-Pro 1415's are doing very well on my car. I blew out the crappy cardboard ones and a less expensive set of Fel-Pros, but the 1415's have been working well. The quality of the gasket compared to the cheaper kind is something you can notice as soon as you take them out of the package, and the price is pretty reasonable, about $25.

did you use the lock bolts too? or the bolts that came with the aftermarket headers? (bbk shorties)....and if so...how much are these? and can i pick these up at my local autozone?