Headlight Flicker - Jrichker Help Requested

bretamo

May 13, 2005
Hello Jrichker -

I saw in the reply to a new poster that the headlight flicker caused by using the fog lights is an easy fix.

Jrichker wrote "Fog lights They overheat the wiring and cause the headlights to flicker. The fix is cheap and simple if you can do electrical stuff."

Can you share a link, thread, or response that will fix this problem?

I've had the dreaded headlight flicker for a few years and have wondered how to go about fixing it.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

SEE http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/foglights.html to fix the problem. The stock wiring isn't up to the job and is overheating. The headlight switch & turn/multifunction switch are affected by Ford's wiring problem. Sometimes it overheats so badly that the plastic shells of the wiring connectors start to melt. This will show you how to add a relay to the fog lights to relieve the overload on the headlight wiring.

the headlights flicker on my 82GT sometimes when i have the high beams and foglights on for a while(20min+), my foglights are wal mart special 35w ones..using the stock wiring. They dont flicker with low beams and foglights on though, and the foglights dont flicker, only the headlights..any ideas?

~Mark~

It's often the internal breaker in the headlight switch itself which opens and causes the loss of lighting or flickering.

The red/yellow wire does char from the lighting load as well.