Headlight switch problems (94gt)

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
Pennsylvania
So my headlight switch went bad. basically my headlights come on but my dash and taillights don't w/o me finding the sweet spot on the switch to make everything come on as it should. Sooooo I pull the switch out today and notice the plastic connector that plugs into the headlight switch is melted.:mad: I know my fox body cars needed the fog light fix done since the wiring wasn't adequate in those cars. I'm assuming the SN cars has a similar factory wiring issue that needs to be addressed?

:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I just went through the same exact thing. I expected the headlight feed to be melted but it was a pissy parking and dimmed circuit that melted through.

I just recently posted a Standard Brand part number for the connector I used (it was different than the one listed - I think their catalog is wrong. The one I used is for a Ford Truck).

You can also get the connector at LRS, and some have said that AZ has it as well.

EDIT: we got some part numbers at the end of This thread

Good luck.

And there isnt a huge issue with the SN cars like foxes (the fog lights have a factory relay on SN cars). But melting headlight switch connectors do happen.

I do think a relay on the low beams is a good idea (I will do this at some point). But often it's the low-current circuits that act up, which to me suggests an issue with the connection at the switch, or the switch itself. The next best you could do is put a relay on the parking lights (it's not something I'd do, as that circuit probably only carries about 10 amps). You can't put a relay on the dimmer circuit because as its run down, the relay would start to chatter.

did you post the same ? on sn95forumns mine just went bad too but i'm not really sure the sw is bad but the connector deff was but i did replace them both anyway. if the connector isn'too melted you can push the orig pins out of the plastic and place into the new one (no splicing needed)just do one at a time. the whole job only took an hour and i took the cluster out for more room

I replaced the switch w/ a new one and replaced the melted harness connector. It appears to be working now. Hoping it was just the bad switch that melted the last connector. Worst case, I'll add a relay if something happens in the future but for the mean time I'll leave it be. thanks!