Heads up on Media Blasting and Powdercoating

bad68coupe

Jul 18, 2006
Richardson, TX
So, i have spent a very long time stripping my 68 coupe down, labeling all hardware, and keeping it as organized as possible, doing it how i believe is the right way. It is a complete hassle to tote my car anywhere, especially this time because there were no tires on the front because i stripped the suspension. So i get it on this trailer, where i had about three to six inches of clearance on each and every side of the trailer.

Down to business, i get it to the place by the name of Quality Powder Coating in Carrollton, TX. This is a top knotch place, nice guys, great equipment, just a great environment. I had called this place ahead of time for an estimate, as anyone should, and it came out to about $600-$700 for all my car to be blasted and to have the engine compartment, undercarriage, trunk, and wheel wells powdercoated. How awesome is that!

This is where it gets nasty, Brad, one of the real nice guys that works there, tells me that the undercoating that was all over my wheel wells, front and rear, could not be removed with the media blaster. Sorry, that is not completely true, it can be removed, but they have to focus the blaster on the part where the undercoating is and that would overheat and warp the metal severly.

So i asked if i could come back the next day and scrape it off, and them being the nice guys they are said that that was no problem. The next day i make the trip over there and scraped for 3.5 hours in 105 degree texas weather, it suckedm but it saved me about $300 and alot of warped metal.

This is where it gets good, about three hours into my ordeal, a guy by the name of Jay from louisville brought over his 68 eleanor clone, that oh yeah had 709 horsepower, with the help of a supercharger and nitrous. It was the most beautiful thing i have ever seen. i would upload photos but i took them on my cell phone and i am not quite sure how to do that. sorry. one of the coolest things was the 11.5 wide wheels in the rear.

Moral of the story, scrap off your undercoating before you go to the blasters, unless your having your car dipped, then its not an issue. And if you do decide to sit out in 105 degrees and scrap off undercoating with nothing but a putty knife and a soldering torch, then pray that a shelby clone as sick as the one that i saw pulls up and provides some form of inspiration.

I will post some pics when the car comes back.:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

bad68coupe said:
So, i have spent a very long time stripping my 68 coupe down, labeling all hardware, and keeping it as organized as possible, doing it how i believe is the right way. It is a complete hassle to tote my car anywhere, especially this time because there were no tires on the front because i stripped the suspension. So i get it on this trailer, where i had about three to six inches of clearance on each and every side of the trailer.

Down to business, i get it to the place by the name of Quality Powder Coating in Carrollton, TX. This is a top knotch place, nice guys, great equipment, just a great environment. I had called this place ahead of time for an estimate, as anyone should, and it came out to about $600-$700 for all my car to be blasted and to have the engine compartment, undercarriage, trunk, and wheel wells powdercoated. How awesome is that!

This is where it gets nasty, Brad, one of the real nice guys that works there, tells me that the undercoating that was all over my wheel wells, front and rear, could not be removed with the media blaster. Sorry, that is not completely true, it can be removed, but they have to focus the blaster on the part where the undercoating is and that would overheat and warp the metal severly.

So i asked if i could come back the next day and scrape it off, and them being the nice guys they are said that that was no problem. The next day i make the trip over there and scraped for 3.5 hours in 105 degree texas weather, it suckedm but it saved me about $300 and alot of warped metal.

This is where it gets good, about three hours into my ordeal, a guy by the name of Jay from louisville brought over his 68 eleanor clone, that oh yeah had 709 horsepower, with the help of a supercharger and nitrous. It was the most beautiful thing i have ever seen. i would upload photos but i took them on my cell phone and i am not quite sure how to do that. sorry. one of the coolest things was the 11.5 wide wheels in the rear.

Moral of the story, scrap off your undercoating before you go to the blasters, unless your having your car dipped, then its not an issue. And if you do decide to sit out in 105 degrees and scrap off undercoating with nothing but a putty knife and a soldering torch, then pray that a shelby clone as sick as the one that i saw pulls up and provides some form of inspiration.

I will post some pics when the car comes back.:SNSign:

I just talked with a buddy about Quality Powder Coating and he HIGHLY rrcommended them over places that he has used. Were they going to blast and powdercoat for $700?? What all did you get done? Id love to see the car when it gets done if you have some time do meet up

Tim

xoxbxfx said:
I just talked with a buddy about Quality Powder Coating and he HIGHLY rrcommended them over places that he has used. Were they going to blast and powdercoat for $700?? What all did you get done? Id love to see the car when it gets done if you have some time do meet up

Tim

Thats what the quote was for the car. i also had some suspension components that i needed done, so i will probably walk out sepndin gabout $900-$1000. i told them that that was my budget so they will do their best to keep it under.

Not meant to hijack the thread or anything, but I want to get my fenders blasted. Ill apply the rust chemical myself, just want the paint removed to get the process done faster. How much would my blaster charge? And what If i wanted the chassis blasted? Do i have to have the whole entire car stripped to have the chassis blasted?

John

68Eleclone said:
Not meant to hijack the thread or anything, but I want to get my fenders blasted. Ill apply the rust chemical myself, just want the paint removed to get the process done faster. How much would my blaster charge? And what If i wanted the chassis blasted? Do i have to have the whole entire car stripped to have the chassis blasted?

John

First of all there is no sense in buying rust removal chemical if you are going to get them blasted. Most blasters charge $100-$110 an hour for blasting and most of them use aluminum oxide, good stuff. If you want to do it right you should reall remove everyhting to get proper blasting, i.e. all suspension and driveline components. But there is an alternative, for example if you wanted your doors blasted inside and out, and since it is such a pain in the butt to strip your doors, you could have them soda blasted, bucause that will not damage chrome or glass. the downside is that it leaves a residue on their that mst be washed off before you apply primer.:SNSign:

thehueypilot said:
I oxide blasted my parts and powder coated them (on a small scale not big pieces) and I have noticed the sand blast texture shows through the powder coating. Something to consider if they use an aggresive blasting media.

I saw some of the peices that they had done and it looked pretty sound.

And as far as mr. alaska goes, that is way harsh, i bet you can rub them down to at least $1000 though.