Heads! What Are These?

Reddevil91

15 Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
IMG_2582.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG
IMG_2584.JPG
IMG_2585.JPG
Hey guys so I'm wanting to get some heads for my car, I'm about to put a GT40 intake with 24lb injectors and 76 mass air calibrated for 24s. I have currently the usual bolt on's plus f-303 can and 1.7 rockers, 65mm TB. The guy I bought the GT40 intake from has some aluminum heads that he said I could grab for 500. Believe these are y-302. They look in good shape but I know I should have them looked over etc but I feel like this is a good deal, what do you all think?

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like Y's.
I had a set back in the day.
I bought them brand new in the box for $699 when they were all being unloaded online.
Have them valve jobbed and they are a pretty good set of heads.
Out of box ford heads (which I like) leave a little to be desired.
With that said, a valve job is going to be around $250, i'd probably want to pay $400.

Also, have the springs checked while they are at the machine shop, because i'm not sure how long they would put up with an F cam and 1.7's. (i'm not all that familiar with an f cam).

Personally I've bought and sold quite a few sets of better performing used aluminum heads for right around 1k.
Just my opinion but after you have those GT40Y's checked out probably have more into them than there worth.
Check the classifieds on this and other Mustang forums I'm sure you could find a good used/rebuilt set of AFR165, TF170 or something similar.

The reality of used heads are that ALL of them should goto the machine shop.
At my buddies shop, every head period went, new or used.
There is a real 15rwhp on a springs seat check, bowl clean up and valve job.
Along with eliminating factory imperfections, that includes tw's and afr's.

The reality of used heads are that ALL of them should goto the machine shop.
At my buddies shop, every head period went, new or used.
There is a real 15rwhp on a springs seat check, bowl clean up and valve job.
Along with eliminating factory imperfections, that includes tw's and afr's.
I agree, that's why I don't think those Y heads at $500 plus shop fees would be worth it.

I haven't seen a decent set of used AFR or TW heads go for less than $850 shipped, most are $850 plus shipping and the deals get snagged up quick. All those heads still need to go to the machine shop so now you're about $1,100 or more. Hopefully you don't get scammed by the seller or have Ace Ventura as the guy that handles your package with the heads in it. So 1100-750= $350+ savings which is a lot IMO if you don't care about a max effort build and it's just a fun street car.

Reactions: 1 user
I really don't think $400 is too far out of line with the value.
Some people put $650 into P's and they are iron.

If I was on a budget and wasn't looking for max power (as someone that has been there, done that, max power is overated), I bet they would made for a decent reliable budget build.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys, if I could have gotten them for 400 I might have gotten them. He wanted 600 and apparently sold them so I guess they are out of the question now. Guess I'll never now if they were worth haha maybe it was for a reason.