Heater Hose Return Tube

Cullpadro

Aug 16, 2015
Steel tube, runs from the top of the water pump back to the firewall underneath the intake manifold.

My dumbass mechanic decided to break the end off the tube (where it goes into the water pump) right above the o-ring. Part is obsolete, so a replacement is $200...and :leghump: if I'm paying $200 for something I know I can replace with a heater hose.

So. Solutions? First plan is just get some JB Weld High Heat, and something steel (like mesh, or perhaps some electrical conduit) to reinforce the hold. Place it on the inside of the tube and hope it fits.

Second idea is to replace the entire 'Y' with a brass NPT to hose barb (like this:http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/nos-17539nos_w_ml.jpg) and tap the water pump outlet to fit. The walls seem thick enough to do this with, and a little PTFE it should seal up nice.

Third idea is to just JB weld in a sweat to barb adapter ( http://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/10A597_AS01?$mdmain$ ) and see how it goes.

I've seen a lot of heater deletes done on the Fox, which uses a similar tube (not similar enough to use though). I don't think the heat or pressure will be so high off/near that pump to blow the fitting. Anyone run into this?

• Sponsors (?)

Get one from a junkyard. Or get one from a scrap engine...like, find someone on Craigslist selling a damaged engine and throw him $20 for it. I even saw someone use high heat hose and ran it. You don't have to spend $200 or anywhere close to it.

Should the mech pay for it? Hell yes. Will he? Nope. He refuses to admit it, and he knows he's wrong. Could have easily said corrosion or something (because that's, really, what it is) but the first thing out of his mouth was/is "Yeah you broke it."

And yeah, closest 96-98 junker stang near me is almost three hours away. I'll post pictures in a sec. really, I think I'm just going to cover it in RTV, shove it in the pump, and hope for the best. Just need it to hold for a day or so until I can beg someone for a ride.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at the :leghump:ing thing and thinking "That can just be remade out of copper." I've use copper to carry steam, but...anyone know if it can withstand the heat coming off the engine? If so, I can probably rebuild this, and make a guide on how to replace it. It's just 1/2in tube and a couple sharkbites. Maybe $60 all told from the local Home Depot

It's this: 1997 Mustang HEATER RETURN TUBE - MustangForums.com

In fact, I've got the same issue. The tip right past the O-ring broke off.

Go to an auto parts store or Home Depot or somewhere like that and just get some heater hose and clamps. Run some silicone on the outside of the tube. It'll hold fine. You'll spend like $20 max and it'll take like 10 min.