Heater not hot

Ok, I've owned the 87 GT for a little while, but don't drive it much since I have the loving comforts of my 95. Well, I wanted to start driving it more so I'm getting ready to do the 134a conversion on it today, just dinking around, I turn on my heater....it doesn't heat up at all...Drove it around a little bit, turned off the electric fans, nothing works. Heater core is the first obvious answer....wondering if anyone else had a thought....also...for the 134 conversion, anyone recommend changing anything out when I do it? Thanks
 
There is a Vac operated valve that opens and closes to regulate the amount of water that goes to your heater core. It's controlled by your hot.cold slider. That valve may be stuck closed or the vac hose (and come to think of it some are actual cables and not vac operated) or cable could be broken. If that all checks out then look at the short hose that rund through the firewall to the heater core. In it, there should be a restrictor. It keeps the core from springing a pressure leak. If the hose is worn that restrictor can sometimes end up sideways blocking off flow to the heater core. If all that looks good and your airconditioner is not continually running then I'd say that something is either jammed up in the core or there is so much scale buildup inside that it's not tranferring heat. Hope this helps.