Heavy modded V6 Mustang. Should I worry?

K'Dash

May 14, 2007
California
I got challenged by this '98 V6 Mustang. Sure it's a V6 but it's serious. I used to work with the guy a few years ago so I know he's not BS'n.

It's got the following mods:

Built 4.2L truck motor
ported stock heads and intake
CAI
cam
LT Headers
Catted H pipe and catback
3.73 gears
100hp shot of nitrous.

He won't tell me how much power he's putting down. I'm guessing over 300rwhp.

• Sponsors (?)

I got challenged by this '98 V6 Mustang. Sure it's a V6 but it's serious. I used to work with the guy a few years ago so I know he's not BS'n.

It's got the following mods:

Built 4.2L truck motor
ported stock heads and intake
CAI
cam
LT Headers
Catted H pipe and catback
3.73 gears
100hp shot of nitrous.

He won't tell me how much power he's putting down. I'm guessing over 300rwhp.

I wouldn't worry about it at all really. I'd say max he is putting out 240 or so to the rear wheels with the no2 giving him another 80. You should be no less that 360rwhp. He'll probably get you off the line but you should quickly catch up and pass from then on out.

built 4.2L with a 100 shot and 3.73's....that should put him at about a 13.1-13.3 @ 107-109 in the 1/4....it would prolly dyno about 340 hp / 440 tq or thereabouts.

my buddy had a 125 shot and intake on a 4.0L 05 v6 mustang and made 320 rwhp and 404 rwtq.

hes not gonna be slow by any means

Lol.....I seen a stock 7.5 rear end v6 with slicks, 373 gear, CAI, Catback, 100 shot, and Short throw shifter eat bolt on GT's for lunch....I mean highly bolt ons....I have seen a v6 stroked with heads, cams and blower make over 500hp, and I have seen a fully built V-6 with 125 shot go 10.5's in the 1/4 mile! PTW ratios is on his side and if he is within 50 HP of you it could take you.....on top end I thing you would hunt him down......0-100......well this is the test right?

"ED"

404 tq on a 4.0L with a 125 shot....typically bigger motors with head work will make more tq...so my guess was more than 404...but less than 450....440 seems to be where id place it.

you dont have to agree.

btw....the 404 tq on the 4.0L was through an auto...5spd would produce less drivetrain loss as well.

still tho, what would you hope to expect to see from a v-8 stang w/ some head work, cams and full bolt ons? about 315hp 320-330 or so tq (generous imho)? So w/ a 100 shot living up to an actuall 100tq here (not ever likely) it puts a v-8 stang at 430tq. So this 430 tq is 10 less than a v-6 w/ the same mods!?!?! - you cant honestly tell me you think head work w/ cams and full bolts ons will put a v-6 at 340tq.

Talked to a friend of his. He told me he puts down 242hp to the wheels with no nitrous. With nitrous he's at 329 to the wheels with the 100 shot and 376 with the 150 shot. Yup, he told me he's running a 150 shot now and lied to me about the 100 shot. I think I'm screwed.

screw that man, i say you can still take him. Nitrous is all about peak power in my opinion - you can't spray from launch through 110mph - while your S/C is working full time. Hell i just took a 300zx last night w/ just exhaust who was spraying without telling me before the race. Only found out once he purged it lol. matter of fact i took him twice in a row, although given i don't know what kinda shot he was spraying and he sucks ass at driving.