heavy / stiff Clutch

exhibitek

Sep 4, 2002
chicago
I have a 2001 Mustang GT 5 speed silver with CDC Light bar, shaker hood, and Side exhaust. 45,500 miles

First I’m trying to figure out what trans I have I believe it is the tremec 3650 trans since there is a tremec sticker on the trans and not the t45 unless it was also made by tremec

The problem is that I drove a 2002 GT and the clutch is a 4th of the weight of my 2001

I was told that I have a cable driven clutch even though I thought I had a hydraulic system, but I guess that came out in the second half of 2002. my production date is 4/2001.

I have two questions

One- since I drive in rush hour traffic what clutch or any other part can I buy to make the pedal as soft as possible before I have bad knee problems.
One dealership thought that I had an aftermarket clutch put in. but I know that not possible since I bought the car with 4 miles on it

Two- are there any TSB’s that I should be aware of (such as the tremec thread) does that one apply to me

I would greatly appreciate you helping me to fix my pride and joy

Anything info at this point would be great
I trust you guys

Evan
Skokie, IL

• Sponsors (?)

exhibitek said:
I have a 2001 Mustang GT 5 speed silver with CDC Light bar, shaker hood, and Side exhaust. 45,500 miles

First I’m trying to figure out what trans I have I believe it is the tremec 3650 trans since there is a tremec sticker on the trans and not the t45 unless it was also made by tremec

The problem is that I drove a 2002 GT and the clutch is a 4th of the weight of my 2001

I was told that I have a cable driven clutch even though I thought I had a hydraulic system, but I guess that came out in the second half of 2002. my production date is 4/2001.

I have two questions

One- since I drive in rush hour traffic what clutch or any other part can I buy to make the pedal as soft as possible before I have bad knee problems.
One dealership thought that I had an aftermarket clutch put in. but I know that not possible since I bought the car with 4 miles on it

Two- are there any TSB’s that I should be aware of (such as the tremec thread) does that one apply to me

I would greatly appreciate you helping me to fix my pride and joy

Anything info at this point would be great
I trust you guys

Evan
Skokie, IL

First off - Welcome to StangNet!
Tremec made both the T-45 and the TR-3650. Check the sticker on the driver's side door post. Under the heading "TR" a "K" will indicate a TR-3650...a "6" means you've got the T-45.
I'd be willing to bet, since you pretty much ruled out the aftermarket clutch, that your cable is fried, casing possibly melted.

got a 3650

ok i check the door and its a "K"

know i need to figure out the clutch problem
its been this stiff since I bought it

now unfortunitly i need to make it lighter/softer by any means

anyone know of some good products for me
eg: flywheel,clutch, presure plate, cable asembley

I started to google a bit and found this product made by UPR Products

Triple Hook Quadrant & Cable with Double Lock Firewall Adjuster (82-04)
Part Number: # 3004-A
Price: $54.95

is this where i should start, the rest is up to you guys.
there is way to much info dont know whats good or whats bad

thanks again

evan
Skokie IL
2001 Mustang GT 5 speed silver with CDC Light bar, shaker hood, and Side exhaust. 45,500 miles

i would start with the cable. if you can get under the car remove the silver box on the side of the trans where the cable goes in and remove the cable end from the clutch fork. to remove it pry the clutch fork toward the front of the car and pull the cable end out. with the cable end out see if it moves easy.

if not remove the other cable end from the quadrant up under the dash. and see if it moves easier now. if it don't replace the cable. if it moved easy after you disconected it from the clutch fork then you need too replace the presure plate and flywheel. if it was easy after you disconected it from the quad you have a problem at the pedals.

going to try cable

i ordered a new adjustable quedrant and cable. figured it would be a good idea any ways. i lost my bay until monday so i will try everything you have recommended so far

any ideas as to what brand or company to use for the pressure plate and flywheel if it turns out its not the cable?

As the others said , welcome to Stang Net. You definatly have a cable problem. Thats why its seems so tough. We just had a 2003 Cobra with the exact same problem fixed. And yes i know cobras clutches feel way tougher then GT's ...but believe
me not like the one we just fixed.
:banana:

exhibitek said:
i ordered a new adjustable quedrant and cable. figured it would be a good idea any ways. i lost my bay until monday so i will try everything you have recommended so far

any ideas as to what brand or company to use for the pressure plate and flywheel if it turns out its not the cable?

don't get a centerforce if you replace the clutch. i used too liek mine but it slips on 2-3 upshifts :notnice: after i drove a customers car with a spec 3 i think my centerforce sucks.

twogts4us said:
Oh and there are no hydraulic clutches in the Mustang family.

How about the '05 :stick:

On topic: I love my centerforce clutch. Just make sure you properly torque the bolts and resurface/replace your flywheel with a new clutch and you will be good. Centerforce does require a 500 mile stop-and-go traffic break in period.

time to make a Decision

ill look up the price of those clutches

it hurts when i have to say this buy i am looking for the cluch that will give me the softest bedal over performance
now that i said that i want to shoot my self!!!

i love the car and i wont give up stick driving

so i need to make it work for me
thank you for all your advice so far- keep it comin :) :)

its not the cable

ok its not the cable
i did go ahead and change it out anyways along with the quedrant. there is no binding with the pedals either.

the problem is in the trans i know need a clutch and pressure plate and since im'm in there, a flywheel to

Oh experienced one's please help me make a decision!!!!!

Is it CenterForce or spec and which stage do I need for maybe 300bhp

From what everyone is saying king cobra is not the way to go

thank you again for all your experiance

spec stage 1 i hear is about the same as stock. the king cobra clutch kits are supposed to be a lighter feel then stock, though i have read that some people dont care for how they hold up. for flywheels i am getting the spec aluminum, lighter for faster revs and good quality as well as price. just some things to think of.

Torinalth

exhibitek said:
well if im looking for a lighter pedal feel is king cobra the way to go over centerforce or spec

i need to know
droping the trans on monday

dont be shy peaple please reply

any input is good input
I have a Spec stage III, real heavy... but on slip. I mean none!! Heard good things about Centerforce, SPEC, and King Cobra. I have heard some bad things about them too. I think as long as you have a name brand clutch properly installed you should not have a problem. Remember, a light clutch to you isn't a light clutch to someone else. I'd go with a King Cobra, OR, SPEC Stage I or II, that's my two cents...

i thought i did. if you want easier, the only one will be the king cobra. some people have issues with it holding power, but it is typically lighter. most people go for performance with a clutch not feel, so your options are close to none.

send an E-mail to steeda and ask them.

Torinalth

twogts4us said:
Oh and there are no hydraulic clutches in the Mustang family.

The '05 is a hydraulic, it's nice, I like it!

I had both a SPEC Stage 1 and a Stage 2 in the life of my old 2000 GT, I personally liked the Stage 2 better, it was hard to push down at first but as it wore in it got a lot easier. Never really slipped on me. Hope that helps some.