Hello from a Newbie and his Quest To 300/300!

Zitro11

Jul 16, 2021
Marietta, GA
Hello! :cheers: My name is Jeremy, and I'm new to the Mustang scene (previous project car was a '13 WRX, @405hp, 465tq). I now have a 98 Cobra convertible, all stock. I've wanted a Cobra for years!

I don't want to go too crazy with this build - my hope is 300hp/300tq while staying NA. Am I crazy? My understanding with these motors is the 300hp will come easy, but hitting 300tq w/o FI is the more challenging part.

If I were to go CIA, long tubes with a catted h-pipe and catback with a tune, am I in the ball park? If not, what else can I do to hit 300/300 without FI?

Look forward to the journey! Here's a couple shots of Scarlett ;)

Attachments

• Cobra One small.jpg
    Cobra One small.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Cobra Butt Small.jpg
    Cobra Butt Small.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Sponsors (?)

Cool looking car. Color is very nice, and I like the way you take care of it. I am sure if you read on all your answers are here on this site. Post up some more pictures of the engine, and interior.

You misunderstood him Noobz with FI - Forced Induction, not fuel injection.

I agree with Noobz that you are already there stock. Factory rated at 305 hp @5800/ 300 ft/lbs. @4800.

Ah, very well. :D

I'm the wrong guy to ask then because I'd slap an Eaton or Twin Screw and fuel system on it and never look back and never have a day's trouble with it (except maybe frequent clutch changes). It has the added benefit of blowing your goals away by another 50+ HP/TQ. We wouldn't want that. :jester:

It would be incredibly fun on the street. LoL

Not sure why you set that goal really. The 4V motor is fun NA but if you're looking for more "Seat of the Pants", these cars are great with some 3.73:1 gears, it gets you in your power band quicker. I have had several and tunes are a pretty decent place to start as well. You're on the right track, long tubes (however, this is an advanced install, as you have to pull the k-member), throttle body (spendy) and CAI. Unless you're going to boost it, I'd probably stick with the basic bolt-ons and then look at suspension mods to compliment the power gains.

More importantly, have fun with it!

Not sure why you set that goal really. The 4V motor is fun NA but if you're looking for more "Seat of the Pants", these cars are great with some 3.73:1 gears, it gets you in your power band quicker. I have had several and tunes are a pretty decent place to start as well. You're on the right track, long tubes (however, this is an advanced install, as you have to pull the k-member), throttle body (spendy) and CAI. Unless you're going to boost it, I'd probably stick with the basic bolt-ons and then look at suspension mods to compliment the power gains.

More importantly, have fun with it!
Gears will come as well for sure. I want to keep it NA mostly since I already did the whole boost thing with the WRX and it was fun, but I want to just have an NA build for now. I also do think these cars will gain value in future years, so I want to keep it as easy as possible to return to original condition if so desired (everything is 100% original right now).

Thanks for the insight! I was recommended to Summit Racing here in North Georgia for tuning - might have to check them out once I have the full exhaust, CIA and gears. I just still have 2 years of mandatory emissions tests, so might be stuck waiting for a while :(

Unless, anyone knows how I can still pass emissions with aftermarket exhaust and a tune....;)

Should be fine with emissions, all they look for is codes in the comp, that's really all they can look for. Unless you have a chip and they do a visual of the PCM, in that case you could literally just pull the chip out and as long as all your emissions stuff is still on the car it will more than likely be fine. In terms of exhaust, you will just need to have catalytic converters, high flow catalytic converters are much better and do a good job. I think some states have gone really crazy and said you can't do any modifications at all to the exhaust (Cali?), but I would just say that's a factory replacement, as long as it has cats I think you're ok. Most aftermarket, 50 state legal parts come with a CARB sticker, that you need to put on the vehicle somewhere. Might as well just move to a better state :D

Should be fine with emissions, all they look for is codes in the comp, that's really all they can look for. Unless you have a chip and they do a visual of the PCM, in that case you could literally just pull the chip out and as long as all your emissions stuff is still on the car it will more than likely be fine. In terms of exhaust, you will just need to have catalytic converters, high flow catalytic converters are much better and do a good job. I think some states have gone really crazy and said you can't do any modifications at all to the exhaust (Cali?), but I would just say that's a factory replacement, as long as it has cats I think you're ok. Most aftermarket, 50 state legal parts come with a CARB sticker, that you need to put on the vehicle somewhere. Might as well just move to a better state :D
Thanks, hotpony! Is there a regional section on these forums, where I might be able to find other north GA Cobra owners?

I really wanted to keep NA, but when I looked into prochargers, now I'm not so sure.... ;)

Nope. Just found that in my feed. You gotta decide what you want out of a supercharger. :)

I prefer torque curves that look like: _________________________________________________________________________________ :D
Lol fair enough! That is a good looking Cobra ;)

I have some researching to do on diff s/c options! Originally I was thinking, "you did the boost thing with the Subaru".

Buuuut, I've never had that ________________________ curve of a supercharger, so.....

Thanks, hotpony! Is there a regional section on these forums, where I might be able to find other north GA Cobra owners?

I really wanted to keep NA, but when I looked into prochargers, now I'm not so sure.... ;)
Honestly FB groups are now where it's at when it comes to social media, forums are great for technical information and historical purposes but if you're trying to find locals, look at FB groups.

Gears don't make power. Juss' Sayin' :O_o:

You won't need gears with a KB. Juss' Sayin' :D

Long tubes are generally a pain in the ass but are irrelevant to positive displacement superchargers.

---

Keep all of the OEM pieces just in the rare instance that you want to put it all back to stock for some reason. Easy to do; Just pull the blower and put an OEM belt back on.

IMO, PD blowers were made for special production cars. They require the least amount of alteration to the car and make it a blast to drive on the street or on a road course.

You'll learn to 'finesse' the gas peddle a lot more and give it the respect that it deserves. LoL

Be sure to factor in a high-pressure fuel pump, Boost-a-Pump, fuel injectors, and a custom tune.

I would say that while gears don't "make power", they get you in the power band quicker, so it's more "efficient". I have a 96 Cobra with a built motor and intercooled Vortech with 3.31's and I have actually had a few blown 4V Cobras and I would not suggest anything lower than 3.73's. Of course centrifugal blowers don't make as much torque down low so KB will be a little better with lower gears.

And like Noobz said, this is the can of worms I'm talking about, you will need some supporting mods. Factor in a couple thousand more than the cost of the blower if you are installing it all yourself.