Help a 4.6 newb out!

rocafella99

Dec 10, 2006
Whats up guys, I won the lemon law case with my Lincoln LS and the dealer wants to get me a new car for the troubles and there going to give me a free extended warranty and go well under the price they are asking. Today they called me said they got an 04 gt in stock and to come test it out, i went down there took it for a spin love the car the only downfall is its AUTOMATIC so i had to turn it down they were asking 15k and he said he'd give it to me for 11k but I still had to turn down( http://www.stevenskia.com/VehicleDetails/867743664 ).. the dealer told me they will find me a gt 5 speed by next monday there going to go to auctions or else find one from another dealer. I was just wondering as im a 5.0 guy, how are these cars? Reliability, gas mileage(dont care to much) common problems? I love mustangs and I am pumped but need to know what to look for and check out ya know? aright guys fill me in

• Sponsors (?)

They are good cars. Reliability wise, depends how you take care of it like any car. Keep up with the maintenance on it and it will last you for a very long time. Gas mileage isn't important because it's a mustang:D but if you want to know, I've seen guys here around the 230-280 mark on a full tank of gas(also depends on the mods and how you drive of course). I think you'll be happy with the car. The only part you probably won't like about them is that the parts cost more than the 5.0 when modding for the most part. Good luck though.

They are very reliable, great mileage cars. I would gp for a termi though, I am helping my dad hunt for one now and they are just unbelieveable. It will run twice the cost of a GT but is well worth it. Most of them Dyno stock at 365 rwhp wich is closer to 425 at the crank, IRS, 6-speed and killer seats. I have seen a few really nice examples for 20-22K.

I've done over 340 miles a tank and hit 31mpg on the hiway

I usually get 27-28 on our commute to ATL and back (about 35 miles each way)

Problems we've had are the clutch (65k miles). Probably more due to the fact it was my wifes first standard :D

front brakes. Had to replace calipers because I let the pads wear down too much (see my long thread on it in tech)

IAC was causing odd idle. If I had researched more on here, I could have fixed it myself, but I let the dealer do it for 400 bux

front ball joints.

gas tank filler neck messed up and I couldn't pass inspection. 400 bux to fix at dealer :mad:

other then those items (some of which were my fault) it's been a great car. Sounds awesome with magnapacks. Gets great MPG on the hiway.

oh, and it's paid for :D

I used to get 330+ miles to a tank on the highway when my car was stock

These cars are extremely reliable in my opinion. Just look at all the (grand marquis) cop cars and taxis running around with over 300k on the odometer...that speaks for itself...as long as you take care of it...

I have had my stang for almost 2 years now and it is a very dependible car. the only issues i've had were some poping in the front end that was fixed by the dealer (loose bolts on the k-member support) and a bad idler pulley that was squeeling.