help/advice on setup...

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
can i get a rwhp estimate on my current setup and the plans i have for later? also could i run 42lbers even if my car only needs 30lbers so that when i swap to my 408 i dont have to buy a maf and injectors again or no? and i need to know which springs i need in the assembled tw heads for a n41 cam...i was thinking that would go great with my setup....thanks

current setup:

gt40 upper/lower (no porting etc)
f303
stock heads
bbk cai (fendermount)
19lb injectors
70mm bbk throttle body and egr spacer
stock maf
bbk equal lengths
bbk h-pipe
borla dumps
3:73s
bbk fp regulator set at 38lbs

new setup:

Tmoss ported gt40 lower stock gt40 upper (ford motorsport gt40)
AFM 3.5" powerpipe
80mm Pro-M
42 or 30 lb injectors
70mm bbk throttle body and blank spacer
twisted wedge fast as cast 170 heads ?? what springs for what cam??
??? what cam??? afm n41?
3:73s
optima red top (already have)
msd cap/rotor
msd 8.5mm superconductor wires
200a 3g alternator (already have)
bbk fp regulator (set at what??)

i want a mean muscle sounding exhaust...any suggestions? flowmaster, spintech, longtubes or shorties etc....

a/c, egr, smog delete.

thanks for the input.

• Sponsors (?)

You should not run the 42's.
Injectors always need to be sized for you present setup, not your future.
It will run like crap.

Besides even with your new 408 setup, you don't need 42's, more like 30's.
In a NA setup, 30's will support well into the 400's at the tire.

Could you run 30's now with your TW setup, probably, they are a bit large but if you get the FP right it should be OK.
But optimally, you need 24's for the moment.

well thats my question...summit has the tw 170 heads on sale assembled...can i use them you think or i have to get them and swap out the springs? so you think i should run 24s or 30lbers? and if i have the tweecer (which i will be getting) can i recalibrate the Pro-m for bigger injectors later or no?

thanks again

Since you will be using a tweecer, it's a no brainer to keep the 42's you have and just tune it to work. No reason to waste money in this situation. The 408 will need the 42's regardless. I have a 347 with 100% maxed out 30's (I have a tuning device as well and it shows the injector duty cycle)

well i dont have any injectors yet...i figured my new setup would need 30s but if 42s would work i would get them so that i didn't have to buy new ones down the line...but i want this setup to run at full potential so let me know what would be best...thanks

thanks but im not building the 408 for a while which is why for now im going to use the 170s on my stock bottom end 302 however if i can reuse some other parts later...i.e. injectors, and maf...than i might as well...but for now my focus is on what will make the 302 run best on stock bottom end.

i want need a tune with a h/c/i ? i was under the impression i would but if not thats sweet...less money i need to spend...and looks like 24lbers is what ill be needing you say...any particular brand i should get?...and again for 100% street car are these heads optimal for this setup or should i go 185 or something???

No, you don't need a computer tune. It would be a complete waste of money.
For what you plan to run, use 24's by ford racing.
PMAS meter. If you need new injectors later for the 408, sell your 24's and buy what you need.
Have the meter recalibrated for $100.

For what you have now, the TW's are probably optimal.
When you dissassemble the car to do the 408, send the heads to TEA for some Cnc porting, and that will give you the larger head you need.