HELP, battery dying, car stalling...

TheDamned

"I am Canadian and Damned for it!"
Jul 22, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Wow this evening was hell.
The car died 5 times on my way back, I had to run with the less power possible so basically i was running at 120km\h in a 50km\h zone without any lights\flashers, etc... it was SICK i was felling like knightrider lol

That said, the problem started when all of a sudden my RPM stopped functionning... then I was feeling some loss of power between the gear changes (Compression) So I said i'll stop at a parking lot and try to restart it... Bang, no fire. At the beginning it was just tic-tic-tic-tic then after it started with a small engine move and when we finally got ahold of boosting cables it started. Then, We were at around 15mins from home so we had to hurry like a moda and the car died again 4 times on us... We restarted it with a mobile booster pack then the 4th time it was dead aswell so i called my dad to come boost and I managed to get home.... 3 hours later. Sounds like an alternator or a battery ? I really doubt it's the alternator since I changed it not even 1 year ago.

Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

was your battery or volt meter slowly going down while you were driving...something like your alternator wasnt working right...well my alternator died 3 months after i put a new one on...maybe it was less then that...do you have a good high output alternator or is it a rebuilt one?

Dude, it's your alternator. Trust me on this one. When it messes up, it'll do all sort of crap to your car. It has happened to me in several cars, and the spedometer, a/c, lights, power loss are all symptoms of a bad alt. Check it out. Ask GreenmustangGT?(twin turbo dude) and he'll tell you.

Allright thanks for the advices guys, i'm leaning towards the alternator aswell.

I put the battery on charge all the night... so today i'll put a voltmeter on it and let it run in the garage and see if she's loosing power.

How much does a standard alt. cost ?

sounds like your alternator to me like said before. if your getting a new one, only trust quality parts. if you buy one from like pepboys or advance, have them test it before you leave as i've heard quite a few people have problems with them right out of the box

mo_dingo said:
I would suspect a ground connection at the motor in this case. Make sure it's clean and tight, as well as other battery connections.
Scott
good point! it never hurts to run an extra ground from the engine block somewhere to the chasis. fords grounds are definatly lacking!

I tested the bat. with the voltmeter, at the beginning it was all good alternator was recharging it was showing 14 volts but as soon as i put all my lights on it dropped to 12V and continued dropping little by little... so tadam new alternator is needed i guess.. damn 230$ CND for one it's expensive

TheDamned said:
and where are\is the ground pole located ?
ford used a thin (too thin IMO) ground strap from the drivers side motor mount over to right infront of the shock tower. i would just take some 4gauge (would only need a foot or less) and two ring termanials. i added a 2nd ground going from one of the bellhousing bolts over by the starter to a bolt on the chasis