Help!Can a 65 fastback have factory independant rear suspension?

anovaso

May 15, 2008
El Paso, Tx
I ran into a guy selling a 65 fastback project with what looks to be factory rear independent suspension. I mean this really looks stock and well fitted and it is definitely not like a modern rear suspension kit. It is no quick chop job either. It is a regular 4 bolt wheel car and drum all around too.
So it is to say the least, a bit confusing and the only info I found online about any ford IRS in the mid sixties is independent rear suspension on shelby cobras.
Just want to know if this is possible and if it is it must be super rare. My only thoughts are... it is a very early IRS kit or it may have been potentially a car destined for racing or shelby gt350 stardom, or a one of IRS protoype and never went beyond this stage, got a normal engine and interior and somehow got to a dealer and sold to the unknowing public.
Here is a pic and I was wondering if it may be a jag rear end and expertly fabricated components but I have no reference to a jag rear end. take a look and let me know what you think

Any help or info would help please!

Attachments

• b6bb_1.JPG
    b6bb_1.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Sponsors (?)