Help!Can a 65 fastback have factory independent rear suspension?

anovaso

May 15, 2008
El Paso, Tx
see my posting under "southwest" area forums... please help if you can,
I have more pics too.

Thanks
Anovaso

also How do i tell a 71 Mach1 from a 71 standard fast back.
The project car i am looking at has no engine and I looked up references on codes online but can't really narrow it down.
let me know fellow gearheads.

• Sponsors (?)

Ford developed but never released an IRS for the 65 Mustang. It is now being reproduced and is available for all of us to buy if we have the money. It isn't the exact same design but it was put together based on the original and I believe the suspension engineer for Ford, Klauss something or other, helped to put it together.

You might be able to find it with google. I think its called the T5 IRS.

If you want something else you can try and transplant a latemodel IRS or a Jaguar IRS in.

Edit:
I think it was Klauss Arning ?

Yep, Klaus Arning, same guy who developed the LCA drop(used initially on the 1963 Falcon Monte Carlo Ralley Cars, ever hear of a Monte Carlo Bar?? Same source) known as the "Arning drop". Shelby used that Falcon race technology, on the GT350's...So, now we have the "Shelby Drop".
Arning's IRS actually used Corvair hub carriers, in it's design.

Yep, Klaus Arning, same guy who developed the LCA drop(used initially on the 1963 Falcon Monte Carlo Ralley Cars, ever hear of a Monte Carlo Bar?? Same source) known as the "Arning drop". Shelby used that Falcon race technology, on the GT350's...So, now we have the "Shelby Drop".

and jaguar (dana 44 type)center sections as well, at least on the first versions. the version that was used in the 68 shelby prototype (Green Hornet) used a 9" center section.

on a seperate but semi-related topic there were also several all wheel drive prototype mustangs made by Mr. Ferguson (of Ferguson tractor fame) and that same basic system is now used in modern all wheel drive Subarus and Audis that use a viscous coupler.

also related were a few prototype cougars that used 2 speed Dana Spicer rear ends (think big truck type axles but smaller) that never really made it into production but helped spawn an entire aftermarket industry; Hone O drive units, Doug Nash overdrive units, American Overdrive units and Gear Vendors overdrive units. interestingly the Gear vendors units are based on the old British overdrive units used on MG, Triumph, Volvo, etc.

thank you all for you great responses!Wow, this is what I like about forums like this, (sorry I placed it in the wrong place at first). I am going to go look at this car again as it is local, yes it is on ebay currently but I happen to be in the same city as the auction. Maybe I will even get some better pictures of the rear end and see if anyone can identify it. Again I have to say it looks really well done, and fits like a glove and maybe "prototype" like?. It looks like this conversion, whenever it was done was done early in the car's life as the "patina" of these components matches closely to everything else under the car. So still my biggest question is "why" is this car the way it is? It is driving my brain crazy...this car is an original 6 cylinder car, drums all around, who would have done all this expert work if not to make this a track car at some point... right? They just stopped at this point and then ran it with it's original 6 for years and then never did the race car conversion. Maybe I am just clicking my ruby slippers too hard while wishing that it was a rare prototype. Will go see it one more time let the auction run out and see it it sells, then go back afterward and see if I can haggle.

Thanks for the Mach1 info too.
Thanks again,
Anovaso

Oh yeah ...Can I offer anyone some more pics once I get them to help me finalize what this conversion is? Especially if you know how to identify older jaguar rear ends?
Let me know and I will send them to you.
With thanks,
Anovaso

Shelby copied a lot of things, hence the irony when he sues people who copy him.