HELP! Car wont start!

GTFTW

Jun 9, 2010
I went to get in start it earlier and nothing. All it does it make a really loud and rapid clicking noise. I tried to jump it and got the same response. Is the started bad?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

If it's doing the same thing (starter solenoid chatter) with the original battery and with a jumper connected in parallel it could well be the starter.

It could also be a bad battery cable and/or a bad ground.

What's the voltage on the battery terminals (no jumper cables)?

If you turn the headlights on, what does the voltage do?

Make sure your terminals are tight. They may be loose.

Next, take your battery and have it tested. The battery may be starting to go and may lack the required cranking amps to start your car.

Could be your starter, but I haven't heard of too many starters going out, more than likely it is a battery or terminal issue IMO.

Good luck.

Well, I had a similar problem about a month ago. I went to wash my car, got in to start it and got the same loud clicking and no cranking. I disconnected the neg. terminal for 5 minutes, reconnected and it started up fine. I haven't had any issues since.

HOWEVER, when that happened, it caused a short somewhere because my door locks started engaging every 2 seconds or so. So, I pulled the power door lock fuse so that I didn't at least have the damn door locks constantly engaging.

Today I had to change a flat tire and it started up fine before changing the tire. I jacked it up, changed the tire, put it back down.....and nothing, just that clicking sound when turning the key. The headlights are just slightly dimmer when I turn them on. The interior lights are significantly dimmer when turned on.

Im going to put another battery in tomorrow and see what happens.

Take the battery to a parts store and get it tested (usually for free). It may not be holding a charge anymore. But if it's clicking while trying to jump, it's most likely bad battery cable contacts. Are they corroded? REALLY tighten them up. Is the battery top clean? Surface discharge can eventually kill a battery.