Help! Dealership refuses warranty repair

Any advice on the following is appreciated from someone who knows the law or have been in a situation like this.

I bought my 2001GT 2 1/2 years ago and the mileage is at 14200.

Issue 1: I have started experiencing a >clunk< noise which sounds like it is coming from the front. It appears at both low and high speeds (thus mostly at low) and is not related to the clutch, braking and steering wheel. I can even feel it in the floor when it occurs. My guess is that it is caused by a worn part in the front suspension.

Issue 2: My rear suspension squeeks when I back up over a curb.

I took my car to the local dealership and went on a roadtest to demonstrate the issues. The dealership had the car 3 days for repairs and when I returned I was told the issues should be solved. As I drove home I realised that nothing had been fixed.

I went back to the dealership and went on another roadtest, this time with the service manager. He acknowledged the sounds and said they would take care of it this time. The car was in 2 days for repairs and when I returned I was informed that Issue 2 is normal and Issue 1 had been adressed by tightening some brake cables and lubing of the bushings. The service manager supposedly had been roadtesting my car after the "repairs" to make sure they were performed. Needless to say, when I drove home I still heard the same noises.

I called Ford and asked them for help. Ford told me that they periodically send out service tech's if the dealership is unable to perform the repair and that they would call the dealership to have them set up such an appointment with me.

I got a phonecall from the "service director" of the dealership and was told she had spoken with the service manager who went on the roadtest with me. The service manager told her that the noises were common (strangely he didn't tell me that when we went on the roadtest before the "repairs"). She told me they were unable to perform the repairs and basically that I shouldn't come back because they couldn't help me. She added that the Ford service tech's was not mechanics but just representatives from Ford doing Quality Assurance.

Any advice on what to do now? The dealership has had the car in for repairs twice and refuses to help me further. I know I can take the car somewhere else, but I have bad experiences with the alternate dealership (they messed up my handbrake when I had just bought the car). I am a bit worried about these dealership mechanics messing more up than they are fixing and preferably I would like a tech from Ford coming out. Does anyone know what the law says, eg. is there something about the lemon law "if it can't be fixed after three times, we'll replace it" or what do I do?

Thanks in advance!
:: Michael

• Sponsors (?)

maybe the lemon law is the reason they are trying not to have you come in for the 3rd time :shrug: . because supposedly after the 3rd time a car is in for a repair of the same thing within the same year you can envoke the lemon law (you have to check with your states individual lemon law, because they all differ) search the net for your states lemon law. hope it helps. good luck with it man :nice:

:stupid:

I try to avoid curbs myself :D, but man that sucks that they are refusing you. IMO, take it somewhere else and try to have it done there, or find out about your states "lemon" law. Man I could have used that for my starting problem a few months ago lol.

c2see21> I was thinking the same thing. I checked into the lemon law in Colorado and it says if a repair has unsuccessfully been attempted 4 or more times, the lemon law will go into effect. I did read elsewhere that "rattles" and "squeeks" are not covered, but I can't imagine the dealership can just give up on the repair and that I can't do anything about it.

BlackBadGT> It is a sloped curb from my driveway; it is not as bad as it sounds.

Any other advice/comments are greatly appreciated.

serviator said:
c2see21> I was thinking the same thing. I checked into the lemon law in Colorado and it says if a repair has unsuccessfully been attempted 4 or more times, the lemon law will go into effect. I did read elsewhere that "rattles" and "squeeks" are not covered, but I can't imagine the dealership can just give up on the repair and that I can't do anything about it.

well there is quite a difference from a clunk to a squeak :D . i wouldn't worry about the squeaks, but that clunk that your talking about i would definately concentrate on that. the squeak can usually be fixed with a can of wd-40 & some patience finding the source of the squeak or replacing some bushings. the loud clunks are often a larger problem
on a side note our trannys are kind of known for making those type of clunking noises, which usually ends up being one of those things you can't do much about, i guess it's just to much slack in the driveline :shrug:

Yeah, I don't doubt the >clunk< noise is the biggest issue. I don't think it's related to the transmission though, as it happens even when rolling and not using the transmission (I don't have the 3650 btw).

I am going to the alternate dealership I was mentioning above on Saturday and taking the tech out for a drive; hopefully I'll get one of the guys who actually knows what he is doing (perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket too).

Thanks for the feedback!

When you get warranty work done, there are two types of receipts you will get one is the work order and the other is the actual work done, with times(they bill out) inspection, ect ect. typically all you get is a receipt showing that repair work has been done and you dont owe anything. Go into the dealer and ask for copies off all work tht has been done, including inspections. After you have obtianed this then you might want to look further into what to do.

My girlfriend took in her ****us in to get the radio fixed. they "fixed and replaced it and the antenna". she got it back nothing was done. the paper work she didnt receive said nothing was done. so when she got copies of this she was suprised, because they kept the car for 3 days

"Issue 1: I have started experiencing a >clunk< noise which sounds like it is coming from the front. It appears at both low and high speeds (thus mostly at low) and is not related to the clutch, braking and steering wheel. I can even feel it in the floor when it occurs. My guess is that it is caused by a worn part in the front suspension."

This sounds very much like what I had, it ended up being a defective cylinder head believe it or not. :bang: There is a TSB on this issue and Ford is required by law to fix it under warranty. My dealer was excellent and diagnosed the problem immediately and it was replaced for free under warranty. The noise is defeintiely gone now. I suggest taking it to another dealer and mentioning that you think the noise may be related to the defective cylinder head TSB. Please my original post for more details:

My original post

Every Ford I've had has squeaked at one time or another. Most states lemon laws don't cover squeaks. When I had my GT it had a squeak. I took it in for warranty work and it was gone for about 4 months then was back. I think they just lube up the crappy bushings Ford uses and send you on your way.

02greenGT> Good point. Actually my receipts has the concern and the correction listed, and in most of the cases it says "normal noise" or "no concerns found" - I even got one with my concern being "Driver seat is loose when cornering" and the correction said "condition described is operational characteristic of this vehicle". :nonono: It's difficult though, even with receipts to tell them to fix it, if they don't want to, however I just got a phonecall today from a relative of the owner who asked me about my experience and offered to help, so hopefully it will cause the people involved to be held responsible for their lack of service.

mwcool> I will bring that up when I go to the alternate dealership on Saturday. What I didn't mention though was that the sound is not dependent on the RPM's which makes me think it is not a moving part. Anyway, it's another silent recall info I will keep in mind.

Venom4.6> I understand that squeaks can't be avoided in a car with hard suspension and on roads like the ones in Colorado, but I think Issue 1 is more than a harmless squeak as I can feel it in the floor too, so I definately want that taken care of before my warranty runs out.

These are a pain and I am not sure where the noise is coming from. I have the MM plates and let me guess it sounds like this...

Message#12
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=425042

(change the .txt extension and change it to .wmv) This will allow you to hear the file. Stangnet won't let you attach .wmv files

I have tried everything and I cannot figure this out. I had stock caster/cambers on with this noise... So I got some aftermarket ones (MM) thinking it would make the sound go away... Nope still there. My spacers are on correctly... the strut top is as close to the hood as possible with out hitting. The top strut nut is torqued good... so good in fact I #ucked up the top of my strut threads from the lock pliars. There is no movement at all from the bearings, and the spacers are solid tight from below and above. I also decided last night to see if all the bolts where tight... so I torqued the K-member, sway bar brackets, links, strut to spindle and lower control arms. Still nothing... still makes that same noise.

I did notice that if you adjust the strut to the softest setting the noise is less noticeable, but I would really like the tires to grip the road good... not float.

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

Ahhh No.. this does not happen with the defrost on? Please explain to me why you would even think having the defrost on would have something to do with this?

There is a sound clip on another forum listed above that is the exact sound it makes....

Thanks,

serviator said:

BlackBadGT> It is a sloped curb from my driveway; it is not as bad as it sounds.

Any other advice/comments are greatly appreciated.

Believe it man...the world is a money game and everyone especially car dealers and mechanics are after your money. Yup its true. :nonono: Also its a Ford what did you expect? Fords service sucks!!!!!

HAHA......My stang does that squeeking thing too when i back out my drive over the curbing. But this weekend goes on the tokiko suspension and eibach springs. THAT SHOULD FIX THE SQUEAK :)

But yea man, Ford has ONE more time to fix this problem of yours and if you go back again, they have to buy back the car. You should have signed a lemon law contract with Ford.

Sorry to hear that you got the noise problem too 01LaserRedCobra. Since I posted the concern in November I actually got the issue fixed. I intend to write a longer post about the experience, warning people NOT to use the local Sill-Terhar dealership, as I went there myself three times, every time with the messages "we fixed it" or "it's a normal noise for a Mustang". Finally they turned me away, not willing to help so I went to another dealership (Omeara), who fixed it in less than 4 hours. I went for a roadtest with the mechanic and he found it to be a loose "trans cross member" which he retorqued and the noise was immidiately gone.

He also lubed my rear suspension which had a less important, but still annoying, sqeeking noise. Funny enough, Sill-Terharr (the terrible dealership) showed on their records that they had lubed the same part every time, but yet the sqeeking had remained at that point.

Roush21> I hear you, it's hard to find a good mechanic.

PEWTERPONY> good luck with your suspension and springs!