Help Diagnose SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Problem LOTS OF PICS(NO 56k)

JT87NAT

May 16, 2005
Well my friend and I pulled the tranny and bellhousing out. I am just wondering if this clutch looks like it got grease on it from where the input shaft goes into the clutch. One side of the clutch looks black and the other side looks brown. Is the clutch Shot? Please help diagnose the problem from these pics.

View attachment 514312

View attachment 514314

View attachment 514316

Clutch Side that Faces Towards the Pressure Plate
View attachment 514318

Clutch Side that Faces Towards the Flywheel
View attachment 514320

View attachment 514322

View attachment 514324

View attachment 514325

• Sponsors (?)

cardudeusa said:
Is it just me or is there any friction material left on the disc? It does look like there is grease out of the pilot bearing on your flywheel. How long has this clutch been in the car?

1200 Miles, and yes there is still material left...I will get a better pic to show how much is left. Later.

flywheel needs resurfaced automaticly. the pilot bearing doesn't look to happy. it almost seems like there was too much grease put on the bearing and it got squished out when the input shaft was inserted. the pressure plate looks fine to me. what was the reason for pulling the clutch in the first place? if it was slipping, i would say it is cause of too much grease in the pilot bearing. i would think that the disc would need to be replaced.

jerryD said:
flywheel needs resurfaced automaticly. the pilot bearing doesn't look to happy. it almost seems like there was too much grease put on the bearing and it got squished out when the input shaft was inserted. the pressure plate looks fine to me. what was the reason for pulling the clutch in the first place? if it was slipping, i would say it is cause of too much grease in the pilot bearing. i would think that the disc would need to be replaced.

Sorry didn't give too much background info, the clutch was slipping at higher rpms.

look at the bottom left corner of your flywheel... Is that a big crack or am I seeing things. If it is you need a new flywheel. Next question... is the clutch mating surface even with the pressure plate mounting surface (both on flywheel) if the clutch mating surface is sunken in a bit your clutch will slip. Definetly check the flywheel for cracks tho.

I've ran a Spec stage 2 for a few years now. Actually I'm on my 2nd one. The side that faces the fly wheel looks okay (but your flywheel doesn't). The side that faces your pressure plate definately was contaminated. I'd replace your T5's outpout shaft seal while you're at it. $2 from autozone. Its what killed my first Spec2. If you have time, but not the money, you can try soaking the crap out of your clutch disc with brake cleaner, scrubbing it and seeing if the oil/grease contaminant comes out... but I doubt it, it looks like its been heat-cooked on there.

As for the pilot bearing,, you only need a 'raisin' sized wad of grease in there, and even that may be a bit too much grease.

SPEED FREAK said:
look at the bottom left corner of your flywheel... Is that a big crack or am I seeing things. If it is you need a new flywheel. Next question... is the clutch mating surface even with the pressure plate mounting surface (both on flywheel) if the clutch mating surface is sunken in a bit your clutch will slip. Definetly check the flywheel for cracks tho.

I guess this tranny is a tremec tranny, it has 1200 miles on it so I don't think the gasket on the input shaft needs to be replaced... but I will check it.

jerryD said:
i think all you need to do is get another disc, resurface flywheel, and get a new pilot bearing.

I had the flywheel resurfaced and the machinist said there was definately a bowl to it from the center out...It's a steel flywheel BTW. My friend ordered another spec 2, I wouldn't want to reuse the pp and have another problem, it is a major PITA getting the pilot bearing out, I got a slide hammer and the hook that you insert into the pilot bearing hole but all it did was rip out the center section and the outer section is in real tight, looks like I will have to use my air chisel on it. Later.