Help Fuel leak

Rowdy

Aug 29, 2008
Florida
I have a 2002 v6. You can smell fuel especially when a/c is running. I am tracing lines and cannot find the leak. Saw a small puddle this morning after moving the car but I can't find where it's coming from. Driving me nuts! Any advice out there?

• Sponsors (?)

If you can't find the leak, you might try to use a UV tracing fluid. Add the UV dye to the fuel tank and then look under the hood and under the car in the dark with a UV light. Any leaking fuel will glow. Make sure you look with the ignition on (but the engine off) so the fuel pump will be pressurizing the system. Some car parts stores carry that stuff, or they can order it.

Found it.

If you can't find the leak, you might try to use a UV tracing fluid. Add the UV dye to the fuel tank and then look under the hood and under the car in the dark with a UV light. Any leaking fuel will glow. Make sure you look with the ignition on (but the engine off) so the fuel pump will be pressurizing the system. Some car parts stores carry that stuff, or they can order it.

The leak is at the fuel filter. Don't know why the odor was so strong up front. Is there a trick to removing and replacing or is the filter just sleeved in the line. It is not wanting to come off easily.

You need a fuel line removal tool which is sold at the auto parts stores. The tubes coming out of the filter have little discs welded around them that the tube locks onto with spring fingers. The special tool lifts the fingers over the disc so you can pull it off. People have used screwdrivers for this, but it's better to use the tool so you don't screw up the locking mechanism or the o-ring.

If one of the o-rings is damaged, you might need to replace a hose instead of the filter, but sometime removing the hose and then putting it back on will make the o-ring re-seal.