HELP HELP HELP

i have a 1991 fox body gt convertible. one day it started making a LOUD hissing noise! had a few people come out and take a look at it. EVERYONE said it was the headers. i replaced the header (almost 800 dollars later) and the noise continues. no one seems to be able to tell me what is really wrong with my car. the noise comes from the back right side of the motor and maybe even towards the back. is sounds exactly like a PIST sound but loud. can anyone please help me.

• Sponsors (?)

hey buddy i dont know where or who to turn to. maybe you can help! i have white 1991 gt convertible. one day its started making a PIST PIST sound but very loud. had a few mechanics come look at it. each on told me it was the headers. i replaced the headers (almost 800dollars later) and the PIST sound is there. one guy told me it was a lose spark plug. ever had this issue or maybe know what it may be. id appreciate the help . kinda running out of money and this car is my baby.

Is all the emissions stuff still on it ? Sounds like the thermactor plug or the pipe may be leaking. A picture of the passenger side would help.

Is the emissions stuff still attached?
Check the pipe that connects to the back of the heads and the rubber hoses on the emissions pipes, there is another one under the car between the cats.

Reactions: 1 user
with the engine OFF, you can make a cheap home made smoke machine with a $7 Harbor Freight syphon pump and a cheap thin $1 stogie. Take the hose off the vacuum pump that PUSHES the air and stick it in one of the exhaust pipes and tape it in the pipe. Tape over both exhaust pipe openings. Then light the stogie and stick the unlit end in the opening of the vacuum pump that sucks in the air and start pumping away. it will push the smoke from the stogie up through the exhaust and back up to the headers and engine block. If you have someone as a helper, have them look under the car and under the hood as you are pumping for smoke coming out where any leak is. You can also do the exact same thing by hooking up the hose from the pump to any vacuum hose going into the intake manifold- from the brake booster, PCV valve, purge cannister. As you pump in the smoke again look for any smoke coming from the engine, hoses,, etc. That would be a vacuum leak.

I have used this cheap pump for years and it works wonders finding these types of leaks.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
with the engine OFF, you can make a cheap home made smoke machine with a $7 Harbor Freight syphon pump and a cheap thin $1 stogie. Take the hose off the vacuum pump that PUSHES the air and stick it in one of the exhaust pipes and tape it in the pipe. Tape over both exhaust pipe openings. Then light the stogie and stick the unlit end in the opening of the vacuum pump that sucks in the air and start pumping away. it will push the smoke from the stogie up through the exhaust and back up to the headers and engine block. If you have someone as a helper, have them look under the car and under the hood as you are pumping for smoke coming out where any leak is. You can also do the exact same thing by hooking up the hose from the pump to any vacuum hose going into the intake manifold- from the brake booster, PCV valve, purge cannister. As you pump in the smoke again look for any smoke coming from the engine, hoses,, etc. That would be a vacuum leak.

I have used this cheap pump for years and it works wonders finding these types of leaks.

Do you have another budget friendly method without tobacco? At least a pipe does not smell as bad.

$800 headers? WTF. Wish I was closer to you, I'd come over to help you for free.
Did he fix his psssst noise? buy a can of starting fluid! spray the hoses, it will either pick speed or stall out when ya spray near the leak

i have a 1991 fox body gt convertible. one day it started making a LOUD hissing noise! had a few people come out and take a look at it. EVERYONE said it was the headers. i replaced the header (almost 800 dollars later) and the noise continues. no one seems to be able to tell me what is really wrong with my car. the noise comes from the back right side of the motor and maybe even towards the back. is sounds exactly like a PIST sound but loud. can anyone please help me.
Did ya fix the noise?

spray starting fluid on the hoses (while running)

As you work, clamp the crap out of everything. It's a compressor, there's why, now the how is a clamp missing or never re-installed. I had hissing, and never looked back after I started clamping everything.
Clamps.JPG
Notice everything - EVERY THING - on the pass side (top left) is clamped