HELP: I blew a fuse/created a short

PoonStang94

Sep 25, 2005
I have been away at college, my car had not been started in a while. I called my dad asked him to jump it and take it for a ride. When he jumped it he said he heard a noise through the speakers and then the radio, clock, interior lights, all that stuff stopped working. Every time he tries to replace the fuse it blows. There must be a short somewhere. Is this a common problem. WHere should i check? I have already disconnected my radio and clock and the fuse still blows. Please help me.
[email protected]

• Sponsors (?)

i read on here a couple days ago that all those functions are controlled by one fuse. might wanna either check all your fuses one by one or search and find the exact one. might be a good idea just to check all of them anyway.

Finding a short can be a painstaking process. Unless you can see the frayed wire out in the open, you may just need to start checking all of the wires on that fuse's run. It would be a ton easier if you could get the fuse to not blow, and then start systematically moving through the wiring harness, and move it around a bit until you find the part that blows the fuse when you move it.

Get a wiring schematic to find out all the runs of wire (Chiltons or Haynes).

Since you say it's the radio fuse that's blowing, that might be even harder to find because most of that is buried under the dash (hard to get at). But I would first suspect a short behind the radio head unit, speakers or anywhere else that you have worked on the radio system.

Good luck and happy hunting.

I have checked all of that. I was told by a mechanic to check the body control module. When my dad jumped the car, the mechanic said, he could have fried the body control module and that is apparently what powers the radio, interior lights, and so on??? Sound right to anyone. Where can I get a new one.