HELP!!! I have a huge vacuum leak and can't find it!!! Please look!!!

FastGT94

Nov 20, 2003
NW Burbs, IL
OK,

Some of you may know my woes with my recent startup of my H/C/I car. Thing ran fine for a while, then had idle issues due to a leaky EGR Tube. Now its running fine again but is running lean as hell!! 16/1 Has to be a vacuum leak!

The car is idling fine except that the idle gets into this "gallop" on occasion instead of a steady chugging like a normal cam. (imagine the sound of a horse galloping).

Another issue is that the car is popping the dip stick whenever I drive it. I'm thinking this is due to excess air entering the crankcase and that even with the PCV fully opened, it can't vent it all.

Only other issue is that the idle hangs exceptionally high (2000) when coasting as well as increasing about 500 rpm between gear changes. It never did this before the H/C/I.

Before I tear this thing apart I have a few qustions. (BTW, my money is on the lower intake seal.

-Can the dipstick being popped out cause a vacuum leak?

-I used 3 upper to lower intake gaskets to space up the intake a small amount, is this a bad idea / could they leak due to doubling up on them? (ford sold a 5 gasket kit solely for this purpose so I'd think that its ok???)

-On the lower intake, I had originally torqued the gaskets to 25 ft/lbs. Everyone told me that 18 is the max. Is it possible that I crushed the gasket too far and that by backing them off to 18, there is now a gap? If I re-do these gaskets, can I blue silicon all the ports or should I still only do the coolant passages?

-If the lower was going to have a vacuum leak, shouldn't I have coolant in my oil though?

-I used blue silicon to seal the SN95 elbow to the intake but no gasket (couldn't find one) should I use a gasket (1993 EGR Spacer???) or is Bule Silicon ok to use here?

Otherwise I have no clue where this damn leak is. I know some people told me that you can use carb cleaner to find the leak but isn't there a method with propane as well?

I'm going to start making a list of possible sources for the leak so I can go over each one, one at a time.

Let's see:

• Four plastic emissions hoses (2 plugged up and clamped for no smog)
  • AFPR Hose
  • PCV Hose
  • Vacuum Tree
  • Master Cylinder hose
  • Cruise Control hose
  • Vent hose
  • Throttle Body
  • EGR Valve
  • IAC
  • SN95 Elbow to Intake
  • Upper to Lower
  • Lower to heads
  • All fittings under intake (re-silicone)
  • Head Gasket???? (Very Doubtful) Is this even possible to leak vacuum and not coolant or oil?

If you guys can think of more please let me know, and if you have any way of checking w/o me having to just re-do everything please let me know as well.

Thanks a million!!!!! :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

I would try the carb cleaner method around the lower intake, and the other items you posted if there is a leak the carb cleaner will make the car rev up higher. To help ventilate the crank case better what some do is put those little air filter where the oil is poured in (I can't think of the name). You can buy some gasket paper and make your own as well.

Just got done with the carb cleaner and NOTHING!!! I soaked down every area I could with the stuff including all the vacuum T's and lines. The RPM's didn't even hint at moving. I checked out all the visible connections for the vacuum lines and they're all fine. I guess I'll have to tear into those splash shields again and look behind those...

Otherwise, I ran some codes on the Key On Engine Running test I got:

136 - Heated Oxygen Sensor Always Lean - Left
172 - Heated Oxygen Sensor Always Lean - Right

Well no crap, I'm glad my computer realizes that the car is running lean as well. Now how in the heck do I fix it? :lol:

Any other tests I can do before I go ahead and take the intake off and start over?

Thanks!