HELP. I hope I didn't mess anything up

cammed89lx

Oct 25, 2010
Ok so I just took my car out for a cruise. And of course I'm gunna get on it. So I was cruising a 15 mph, about to romp on it, so I do, then go to shift to second, and I MISS so its bouncing off the rev limiter and staying there. so first thing I could think of is brake and turn the car off. I looked back and there was smoke, I couldnt tell if it was from me spinning or clutch smoke:shrug:. Im hoping from me spinning. so I let it chill for a little and try to start it again, and the worst grind ever happens. sounds like a bad starter sound but legit just got it replaced about 5 months ago...Please dont tell me i fried my clutch. :( It was a newer clutch and tranny. (less than a yr old/5000 miles)

• Sponsors (?)

Ok.. just managed to get it started. drove it around, and there was a small whine coming from the transmission area for about a half mile of driving. The car would go into every gear exactly like it would before. The whining eventually went away. then i got home, shut it off then immediatly tried to start it, and it just grinds.

Are you saying that there is a grinding noise while trying to crank the motor? Or are you saying that there is a grinding noise when you try to put the car in gear and drive it?

I would pull the starter and check its gear teeth and the flywheel gear teeth.

I would think the transmission wouldn't be grinding if the clutch was depressed upon starting the engine...perhaps you broke the flywheel.

So i got under the car today, and the flywheel appears to be ok, but for some reason I was able to physically move the starter side to side whithout force... as if it were barely bolted on. And it grind while cranking but while driving it will just be whining. Thank you for your responses

I think its pretty obvious that your starter is missing a bolt or something. Dont panic everytime you miss a gear, thats what the rev limiter is there for. Its your friend, just dont go using it all the time

True, thank you for you help guys, but the new problem is that every other time i try and start the car it will either just sound llike the starter is spinning, or it will have a really weak start. like slow cranks. cars are so tempermental

It is tightened, and still get a spinning sounds like every other start attempt. Its weird. Sometimes it will be fine, and others will it will either have a real weak crank, or have that spinning sound.

also make sure you have the right starter bolts with a shoulder on it. i was helping my friend build a chevelle and we were having the same problem cause the bolts where too thin.