Help! Identify this part from a '68 column- and a PN and a vendor please!

CraigMBA

Mar 24, 2007
Orange, CA
p85706_image_large.jpg

Mine grenaded when I took the column apart. Anybody know?

Attachments

• p85706_image_large.jpg
    p85706_image_large.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Sponsors (?)

p85706_image_large.jpg

Mine grenaded when I took the column apart. Anybody know?

I believe it is the turn signal canceling ring? It has been a while since I had mine appart though. My book is at the shop with the car so I am not able to clarify. But now that I think about it, I think it may be called a "column sleeve"?

Sorry, I am sure that did not help a bit

Attachments

• p85706_image_large.jpg
    p85706_image_large.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 106
I don't know the correct name of it but that is NOT the turn signal cancel "thingy". the one in the picture is at the lower end of the column, the portion that is in the engine compartment. Mine came apart too, it was plastic and you can imagine what 40 years of heat/cold/weather/dirt had done to it. I didn't care when mine broke since I put the TCP rack and pinion on mine, maybe that is your solution too?

steer3.jpg

Attachments

• steer3.jpg
    steer3.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 100
Edbert
I don't know the correct name of it but that is NOT the turn signal cancel "thingy".

+1

I just replaced my 65 coulumn with a '68 column that I bought from eBay. It didn't have that part.

Edit: After looking at it again, It looks like the spacer/bushing that centers the inner column to the outer column at the end. I took mine apart and a bunch of dirt and rust particles came out, But the bushing stayed attached to the outer coulumn part, so i just cleaned/painted everything up and reassembled.

I just looked at the Mustangs and Ford site you got the pic from.

the caption below the pic says: "The ’68-’68 column takes this plastic sleeve, which secures the inner tube."

I just put the TCP rack on my 69, and it said to remove and throw away that piece.

As what Tim65GT said, it just serves as a bushing to center the inner and outer tubes of the column.

I'm putting an ABS power box in my car. I bought the TCP piece for the shaft thinking I needed a second bearing for the bottom of the column. It would work but it makes the bottom of the column about 1" too long and won't clear the universal joint. In the process of finding out it wouldn't work I destroyed the plastic spacer clip.

In short, been there, done that, won't work, and I need to go back.

I'm putting an ABS power box in my car. I bought the TCP piece for the shaft thinking I needed a second bearing for the bottom of the column. It would work but it makes the bottom of the column about 1" too long and won't clear the universal joint. In the process of finding out it wouldn't work I destroyed the plastic spacer clip.

In short, been there, done that, won't work, and I need to go back.

have you thought about shortening the column like you would do if you were installing the TCP rack?

Attachments

• column.jpg
    column.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 85