Help. I'm having issues getting into gear (STD T5).

Thrush

Founding Member
Dec 6, 2000
Wakefield Ma
Hey All,
I am having trouble with the T5. Here is what I know:

It's really hard getting into gear.
When it is hot out it is worse.
The clutch is not slipping.
When it does go into gear there is no grinding.

I want to say that this might be the clutch cable, since the clutch does not slip, but I am not sure about it being the cable. The clutch cable is adjusted as tight as it can go and will not go any further.

Can this be something else? Do clutch cables stretch after time?

I do have a short shifter on but I would assume that it would not have to do with my problem.

• Sponsors (?)

Thrush said:
I want to say that this might be the clutch cable, since the clutch does not slip, but I am not sure about it being the cable. The clutch cable is adjusted as tight as it can go and will not go any further.

Can this be something else? Do clutch cables stretch after time?

Old cables can stretch a little bit. How do you mean the cable is adjusted as tight as it can go? Are you talking about an adjustable clutch cable, or the factory cable setup? Need more info.

Are the shifter stop bolts kepping it from getting into gear? Your post is kinda vague.

tjm73 said:
Old cables can stretch a little bit. How do you mean the cable is adjusted as tight as it can go? Are you talking about an adjustable clutch cable, or the factory cable setup? Need more info.

Sorry if I was vague. I figured if the clutch was adjusted to be as tight as it can be it might not matter which I was using. What I am refering to is the factory cable set up. Where the cable attaches to the trans. It is adjusted as far as it can go (no more threads to turn up on). Also when I pull up on the clutch pedel there is no adjustment to eliminat the self adjusting quadrant. The actual travle of the pedal seems to be fine and out as far as the clutch pedal should go.

tjm73 said:
Are the shifter stop bolts kepping it from getting into gear? Your post is kinda vague.

I do not belive that this is the shifter blots (I will have to double check it). If it was the shifter bolts would the problem be worse as it gets hotter?

your adjustment is way off if you have an adjustable cable and have the adjuster nuts tightened all the way down. but i was having the same problem for a while and ended up having to get a new trans, hope this isnt the same problem youve got though. adjust your cable so that there is a little play (1-2") of play at the top before it gets tight

ECU5.0 said:
your adjustment is way off if you have an adjustable cable and have the adjuster nuts tightened all the way down. but i was having the same problem for a while and ended up having to get a new trans, hope this isnt the same problem youve got though. adjust your cable so that there is a little play (1-2") of play at the top before it gets tight

I am pretty sure I will not have to get a new T5.