HELP!!! Interior swap questions

Cypher807

Sep 20, 2004
Long Island
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping some of you have done this and could pass on the info.

I have an 87' GT that's in the process of a conversion to 87' SSGT Saleen. It's a total restore, everything from the ground up. The car doesn't have the cpu, engine or drivetrain yet. It will be getting a 331 stroker from Foxlake and a TKO Tremec.

Here's the questions........

1. I bought a complete '92 dash, will it bolt up without mods?

2. Door panels from a '90 GT, but without the switches any problems?

3. I plan on buying a new complete wiring harness from "painless", do I now need to specify that it's a '92 because of the dash?

4. I imagine I have to get a '90 and up gauge cluster to fit, correct?

Did I cover everything? Do you see anything else I'll need to do?

You guys are the best, your advice is much appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Painless stuff sucks IMO and the wires arent the right length some times. Ive done this before everything you have in your 87 will work just fine maybe you would like to get a 140 speedo. just get a dash harness from any 5.0 87-93 they are all the same except 90 up have better foglight wiring. Everything should work. If you need any harnesses let me know i have some lying around. I wouldnt go painless though it diddnt work to well for my friend who bought one. You might need to get a custom made computer unless you are running a carb. There is also a harness that goes to the transmission, Make sure you get this harness or else your car will not have any power. My friends car diddnt have that harness and it nevr ran until he got it.

The wiring is not the same between 87-89 and 90-93 models.

If you use the 92 dash, gauges, etc. you also need a 90+ steering column which was non-tilting and meant for the airbag wheel. MAYBE you can get an 87-89 column in but I don't think parts line up right. I would get the correct dash if for nothing else but to keep it consistent with the pre-90 interior.

Be sure you get 87-89 specific rear quarter plastic panels and hatch cover.

the fuse panel needs a little modifcation to work
http://50stangs.com/techarticles/foxbodyinteriorguide.html

check out that link, my bro's interior swap guide, it's literally the bible for fox interior swapping, what will work, what won't work. The two of us have swapped literally just about every combination of interior parts around from 79-93 foxes.

here is a quote from the page:

If you are converting a 1987-1989 Mustang to black interior, than use the 1990-1993 dashes. When using a 1990-1993 black dash in an 1987-1989 make sure you grab the mounting hardware for the fuse block since the fuse block is mounted differently in 1990-1993 Mustangs. You might need to drill a couple of holes in the dash frame when bolting up a 1990-1993 dash in an 1987-1989 Mustang, but overall it's pretty much a direct swap and is very easy to do.

I put a complete 90 interior in my 87 with no real problems. Ray III is right about the wiring, the instrument clusters ARE different from 87-89 and 90-93 and are not directly compatable, but can be made to work by rewiring the plugs. Plus all the wiring for the airbags in the 90+ cars. I used my 87 cluster with the 87 wiring, and just used the 140 speedo from a 92 car in the cluster. Door panels and the rest will all fit fine. You can use either style rear panels, but the front seatbelt anchors are a few inches higher on the 90-93 ones, so you will have to drill holes for the "B" pillar seat belt mounts and you will have holes above the seat belts in the plastic where the 90-93 belts mounted.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone!! I feel more confident tackling this project.

So basically stay away from using "painless", (which sucks cause I didn't want to chance buying a used one) and I'll need a 90-93 wiring harness to compensate the 90-93 gauge.

This is probably a stupid question but how many harnesses are in the car and what are their correct titles.

Thanks again!

Dash, computer, transmission,taillight, injector, door, fuelpump, Are all different harnesses in the car.. did you want to go mass air or speed sensity? IF maf your gonna need 89+ Computer harness..

I was planning on going MAF however, being that I have the '92 dash the cluster should match since the 4 "check fluids" lights are not on the outside bezel that year.

I just moved to PA, is there any reputable "mustang or Ford" shops out here?? I'm in the heart of the Poconos.

Im from wilkes barre. I dont know of any good ford shops except Coccia ford in wilkes barre. I know some Garages that can do anything you want to a car.. Im only like 30 minutes from you so we are in the same boat. I did my interior and helped my friend with his. Ebay is one of the better places to get your harnesses.

If you go with th 92 stuff your gonna have all that airbag stuff... I would use an 89 cluster and send it to get modded to a 140 .. I wouldnt use any harness from 90 up because then you have all that airbag stuff i wouldnt waste my time with air bags they are a pain in the ass...