Help me find this pop in my front end.

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
I noticed yesterday that if I turn my wheels all of the way hard to the right while turning slowly in a parking lot that I get a popping sound from the right side of the front end. It seems to pop maybe once for every couple rotations of the tire as long as the wheels are held completely to the right. If I turn the wheel back to the left even slightly it goes away. It is hard to explain it is really more like I feel the pop rather than hear it almost as if the tire were running over itself. Doesn't do this turned hard to the left only the right.

• Sponsors (?)

The Shape said:
I noticed yesterday that if I turn my wheels all of the way hard to the right while turning slowly in a parking lot that I get a popping sound from the right side of the front end. It seems to pop maybe once for every couple rotations of the tire as long as the wheels are held completely to the right. If I turn the wheel back to the left even slightly it goes away. It is hard to explain it is really more like I feel the pop rather than hear it almost as if the tire were running over itself. Doesn't do this turned hard to the left only the right.

Do you get the same pop if you jack the front up and turn the wheel by hand while someone is holding the steering wheel to the right?

No guarantee this is the problem.

My friends '86 and my '90 both did something simular. Only on slow speed turns to the left, typicaly into a parking lot hitting a small transition bump. It was the rack an pinion, the bushing in the end of the rack had worn out and the rack gears were catching on it causing a distinct "pop". Had to replace the rack to cure. Like I said I do not know if this is you problem or not, but if you want to tell if it is heres how: Jack the front end off the ground and turn the wheel full left, grab the end of the rack,not the tie rod but the rack itself, you will be grabbing in the boot area. See if it moves fore/aft or up/down. It should be fairly solid, if it is not it is likely time to replace it.
PS: You can remove the boot from the rack housing to get a better look at what's going on, but it's not neccessary to get a basic diagnosis of the problem.

dont forget the end links. they load and unload in parking lot maneuvers (slight bumps unload it and then it clunks).

tire not hitting the inner liner?
after you get under and play, let us know (check the usual ball joints, tie rods, etc).

good luck Big J.

I took my mustang into a factory dealer recently for the same problem. Basically you have a joint or bushing worn out somewhere. The official quote they gave me was for both a "Sway bar bushing" and a "Control arm bushing". Hope this helps as I typed this directly from my estimate. Also they estimated the cost to be $109.86 and $189.10 respectively. This was both parts and labor. I haven't had the repair done yet so don't know if this will fix the problem for sure but assume they know what they are talking about.

Thanks for all of the ideas guys. I had all 4 tie rod ends replaced last winter because one was bad. I figure they are 17 years old might as well replace all four. At the same time I told the guy to check the ball joints and if they looked the least bit worn replace them as well. He told me the ball joints looked fine. I figure they must have been ok becuase if a shop saw a way to make some more money they would have swapped them. This doesn't mean one couldn't be bad now a year later though. I am off tommorow and if the weather clears up I will jack it up and check the ball joint. I am starting to suspect the endlink though since it only happens with the wheels all of the way locked to the right.

The Shape said:
Ok jacked it up today and had a look. Looks like for some reason the tire is rubbing the A-frame when i cut the whell hard right. I could definently see the rub marks on the A-frame.
J, any thoughts on what else is wrong or why this is occuring (do you have funky wheels, tires, etc?). slop in the rack/tie rods, etc? control arm bushings alright?
as you can tell, you got me curious. :)
good luck bud.

HISSIN50 said:
J, any thoughts on what else is wrong or why this is occuring (do you have funky wheels, tires, etc?). slop in the rack/tie rods, etc? control arm bushings alright?
as you can tell, you got me curious. :)
good luck bud.

Have no idea HISSIN I am still running my stock turbine rims with stock sized tires. The tie rod ends are only about a year old. I did notice a very very small amount of play when placing my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock and moving the wheel side to side with the car setting on the ground. I didn't seem to have any play though when doing the same thing with both front wheels jacked up. :shrug: