Help Me Pass Emissions Test Please...I Failed

I failed my emmisions test on my stang. Can yall give me some suggestions as to how to fix this problem. Also the guy said he thinks my car is misfiring at low rpm's. I have only 15 days to fix the problem and take it back or im out the money. I attached the results of the emmision test just incase that can help yall tell me what to do. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Sponsors (?)

Hmmm, for some reason i am not seeing the attachment. I'll just type in the only part that im failing.

LOW SPEED EMMISION RESULT (15mph)
RPM 1582

Standard Current Reading Result

HC(PPM) 120 295 FAIL

This is the only portion that i failed.
By the way this is a Texas inspection.

how many miles do you have on the car since the last inspection. In PA if its less than 5000 I am emissions exempt. Also find out if you can get a Pass.. in Pay if you fail and spend at least $100.00 of trying to get it to pass and it still fails they will give you an exemption for 1 year..

balderman said:
how many miles do you have on the car since the last inspection. In PA if its less than 5000 I am emissions exempt.

wher did u find that info at. I live in pa and have to do the test in march unless u are correct. Not that i think you are wrong, i just dont know. They just started the tests in my part of state.

When you test agian, make sure the car is really hot, that will help a little bit. Also check the tube running from the smog pump to the cats, I've seen alot of those rust out. If the cats don't get air, they don't heat up and do their job.

i just did my houston emissions last week. i pu tback on the stock h-pipe and passed with flying colors. if you dont have your or dont want to switch it out, i would suggest leaving a lil exhaust leak in the headers, not big enough to wear you can hear but enough to let some out. that is what a friend of mine did, and that is also how i think i passed. you can also try searching for ways to pass here in the forum, like alcohol in teh tank, set your timing back to 8 or 10, run 89 octance gas, run it hot, stuff liek that. good luck

First off make sure your car is in good running condition. Do a basic tune up including oil change. Check all hoses etc. make sure everything is connected correctly. Make sure your engine is completely warmed up before test. (I had mine idling as I waited for test.) If everything is good there is no reason you shouldn’t pass. There is almost nothing on my car that is left stock and it passes with flying colors. Good luck.

a few tricks, lower your timing to 8.5-9.5 (barely under 10 (stock)), run your car hard, like in the 4K range for about 10-15 miles, clean out the cats that way... then, right before your test, idle your engine at about 2500RPM... that also cleans out the system, other than that, if you still fail, you might think about some better cats, or possible changing out your engines :D

wouldn't you know it, i have the same problem, i'm missing at idle too!!

my results were at 691 idle, 197 HC (100 allowed)
i'm here in california, and they do check the base timing...

my hydrocarbons were in the 200's at idle

i think the tube from the smog pump to the cats is whats leaking, and now that some1 said that they rust, tommorow i'm going to check it. It even sounds like there is something leaking.

I got a print out of possible things that might be wrong from the guys i went to, maybe this will help?

Low CO and High HC- Check the Fallowing

a. Air Fuel Mis\xture too lean
b. Electrical Misfires (check ign system with scope)
c. Vac leaks (hoses, choke pull-off carb base, PB unit etc)
d. egr at idle
e. too much spark advance
f. closed loop operation
g. low idle speed
h. low psi on efi cars
i. air injection system
j. cat going bad
l. internal engine problems (low compresion, leaking exhuast valves/valve guides or rings)

when you find out post again, or if i find out i'll post too

DavidF said:
Watch out, here in Cal. if the timing is not at 10 degree's they will fail it right away. :mad: Check your local laws.
My car passed at 2* ATC!?!?!!!!! lol didnt have a timing light, and i had just picked up the car and had to get a new sticker for it. they didnt check the timing or anything. It is now set at 12* btc though. Texas smog check

took mine to the shop, found out what was up with mine, (had high HC's at idle)

this is what the report said, and it did pass smog right after .....

"Inspected idle air control, found air bleed screw misadjusted. Adjusted air bleed screw for emissions to pass smog inspection."

cost me 78.00 for the "scope test" ...

but hey, whatever it takes to pass smog :D