help me spend some $$

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
so i recently stumbled across a large sum of money. so much that i feel comfortable dropping some of it into the stang. i was thinking about a 10k budget. ive been drooling over a T-56 for a loooong time. so thats pretty much a given. but i also think its time for a built engine as well. I like MMR's reputation and was considering a 4.6 longblock like the 600 or 900. does anyone have any experience doing something like this? what kind of power do those engines put down? what would you do with the money?

EDIT: heres a current mod list

Performance
-K&N FIPK
-Ported and Polished FRPP 70mm Throttle Body
-Ported and Polished C&L Plenum
-Steeda Timing Adjuster at 15*
-MAF Screen removed
-Custom Ram Air Induction

Exhaust
-UPR O/R X-Pipe
-Mac Flowpath Mufflers Dumped

Drivetrain
-FRPP 4.10 Gears
-Moser 31 Spline Axles
-Torsen T2 Limited Slip Posi-Trac Differential
-Motive Bearing Kit
-TA Differential Cover
-Steeda Tri-Ax Short Shifter
-SPEC Stg 2 Clutch
-UPR Firewall Adjuster
-UPR Clutch Cable
-Pro 5.0 Quick Release Quadrant
-Maximum Motorsports Clutch Pedal Height Adjuster

Suspension
-Tokico Premium Shocks/Struts
-Eibach Sportline Springs (2" drop)
-Pro3i C/C Plates
-Custom Welded Full Lenth Subframe Connectors
-HPM Mega Bite Jr. Upper Control Arms
-HPM Mega Bite Jr. Lower Control Arms
-Steeda Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
-Steeda Tubular Front Swaybar
-Steeda Strut Tower Brace
-Steeda G-Trac Bar
-Maximum Motorsports Aluminum Rack Bushings
-Polyurethane Bushings all around
-Aggressive Alignment with -2.0* Camber

Front Brakes
-Brembo 13" Slotted Rotors
-Cobra 10th Anniversary Red PowderCoated Calipers
-EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Brake pads
-Russel SS Brake Lines
-Russel Speed Bleeders
-ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 5 Brake Fluid

Rear Brakes
-Brembo Slotted Rotors (Stock size)
-EBC Metallic Brake Pads

Wheels/Tires
-18"x9" 00 Cobra R wheels
-275/35/18 BFGoodrich G Force Sport

• Sponsors (?)

Selling Drug is bad. Don't sell Drugs, Mmm-K?

Send me 3/4 of the money and do the Cobra mod :nice:
neither of these posts are helpful

INVEST IT!

im investing plenty of it. thats why i dont feel bad having a little to play with. plus its time my stang gets some needed upgrades. my syncros are shot. i havent been able to shift right in over 40k miles. and theres only 68k on the car. my head gaskets are seeping (only a matter of time) and every time i pop my hood i cringe at the sight of my T/A. plus the engine consumes about 1 quart of oil every 3k miles

INVEST IT!

Now where is the fun in that? I know I know, future financial security blah blah blah LOL

Of course you may be assuming he only received 10k total. It's possible he got a lot more than that and has decided to only spend about 10k of it ;)

If that is not the case then I would say invest half of the 10k and use the other half on the stang...but for what you want to do, or even think of doing, you can't really accomplish much with a mere 5k

my syncros are shot. i havent been able to shift right in over 40k miles. and theres only 68k on the car. my head gaskets are seeping (only a matter of time) and every time i pop my hood i cringe at the sight of my T/A. plus the engine consumes about 1 quart of oil every 3k miles

Oh my!! All of those major problems with only 68k miles? Whats the deal with that?
Have you or the previous owner(s) raced it or something that would cause all of that on a rather still low mileage car?

Well it sounds like you should use the remainder after the t-56 to buy the best engine you can. Isnt a nice buile 4.6 with P/P heads right around $5000 from MMR or DSS?

Yo Derek how ya been man!

Oh you know what im going to say LOL.

T-56 =2Kish
MMR600=2500ish
Pickup a mongoose kit from MPH (4K?)
Spend the rest on a good tune, smaller blower pulley and throw on a kenne bell boost a pump.

Hello 500RWHP or more! Then as you can go ahead and get an 8rib belt kit and bump up the boost!

first off if you aren't running or planning on running more than 550 horsepower, you have zero/null/no/negative need for that t-56.

if you plan on running boost you need to get rid of them 4.10's and get some 3.73's.

my advice, call up Modular Powerhouse ( http://www.modularpowerhouse.com), and have them quote you an engine and blower, install, and tune that will fit your desires. These guys are some of the best in the country, and come highly recommended. These guys have their own line of custom stangs that sell here in Nashville, and they are top notch and bad@$$! They also have a forum with the website, so feel free to join up and ask questions. These guys won't do you wrong that' for sure. I will be taking my car to them in the near future for a forged shortblock and a kb 2.6.

good luck.

Yo Derek how ya been man!

Oh you know what im going to say LOL.

T-56 =2Kish
MMR600=2500ish
Pickup a mongoose kit from MPH (4K?)
Spend the rest on a good tune, smaller blower pulley and throw on a kenne bell boost a pump.

Hello 500RWHP or more! Then as you can go ahead and get an 8rib belt kit and bump up the boost!

hey Cody, its been a while.

i checked out the MMR 600 and the shortblock is ~$2500, but i want some new heads/cams and intake too. they sell the longblock for ~$5500, but im not sure what kind of power it puts down. im still not completely sold on a s/c. too much to worry about. i would be mighty happy with a 400 hp N/A car.

first off if you aren't running or planning on running more than 550 horsepower, you have zero/null/no/negative need for that t-56.

if you plan on running boost you need to get rid of them 4.10's and get some 3.73's.

my advice, call up Modular Powerhouse ( http://www.modularpowerhouse.com), and have them quote you an engine and blower, install, and tune that will fit your desires. These guys are some of the best in the country, and come highly recommended. These guys have their own line of custom stangs that sell here in Nashville, and they are top notch and bad@$$! They also have a forum with the website, so feel free to join up and ask questions. These guys won't do you wrong that' for sure. I will be taking my car to them in the near future for a forged shortblock and a kb 2.6.

good luck.

i really like the pull of the 4.10s, which is one of the reasons i want a T-56. i would ideally like an engine that i can tach out to 7k+ rpms, which would be great when paired with the ratios of the T-56.

hey Cody, its been a while.

i checked out the MMR 600 and the shortblock is ~$2500, but i want some new heads/cams and intake too. they sell the longblock for ~$5500, but im not sure what kind of power it puts down. im still not completely sold on a s/c. too much to worry about. i would be mighty happy with a 400 hp N/A car.

Yes too long bro!

Well that would work too. Just have them build you one heck of a shortblock that will make around 330-350RWHP and then buy a 150 shot of N20 and you would be golden. Probably be faster and you would have a completely brandnew engine thats ready to go.
After the n20 and engine you would have about 1K left...that can be used for tune, injectors, MAF, and fuel pump. Well it will run you a bit more that 1K but would knock out a big chunk.

You'll want boost with a built motor. HP gets very addicting when you're forged and 350-450rwhp won't be enough.

Being a big fan of positive displacement blowers, my first choice would be a KB 2.6 or 2.8L, but of course, that won't be cheap. You may be better off getting a centri for considerably less. A Paxton Novi 2000 or Procharger F1 have the potential to make more power than what a KB can deliver.

IMO a t-56 is the BEST tranny for a street car. It may not be the #1 choice to get the lowest ET's at the track, but nothing can beat the fun factor it brings. Not to mention, with a 26 spline input shaft, it's tough as nails and can take a good beating.

You'll want boost with a built motor. HP gets very addicting when you're forged and 350-450rwhp won't be enough.

Being a big fan of positive displacement blowers, my first choice would be a KB 2.6 or 2.8L, but of course, that won't be cheap. You may be better off getting a centri for considerably less. A Paxton Novi 2000 or Procharger F1 have the potential to make more power than what a KB can deliver.

IMO a t-56 is the BEST tranny for a street car. It may not be the #1 choice to get the lowest ET's at the track, but nothing can beat the fun factor it brings. Not to mention, with a 26 spline input shaft, it's tough as nails and can take a good beating.
hey 02LaserRed, do you have the viper ratios or cobra ratios on your T-56?

i definitly get your point about always wanting more power. my main concern though is that i want a reliable car that will last me for years. thats why i wanted to stay away from the blowers. if i did s/c, it would only be about 6-8 lbs of boost. just an extra 80-100 hp. i dont want anything insane. i think 400 rwhp is ideal. i was also considering MMR's 5.0 or 5.4 engines to leave n/a. does anyone have any experience with either engine and how much power i could possibley make?

you wont gain anything if you just replace the shortblock. if you go longblock then your getting ported heads and cams. depending on the what stage cames you go with, youll gain anywhere from 22- 50 rwhp with a long block. you will not be able to make 400rwhp na, you will have to get a power adder to do that.

if you get a built block get a blower. if you only want to run a small amount of boost that is fine. it will get you to 400rwhp with some other mods.

do longblock/blower/trans.......this will most likely bring you past the 10,000 mark.

my blower set up and block alone cost me almost 10,000 including all the extra costs. ex shipping, supporting parts, oil pumps, fuel upgrades...

Yeah, I'm at 400hp on stock engine. If that's all you want, you reall don't need a built one. If you are getting a built motor, then don't be afraid of 500-600hp. You won't have any reliability issues with the motor, so long as you have the appropriate fuel delivery.

I say go to MPH, get yourself a nice ~500hp twin-screw setup. You'll love the torque. And get an aluminum block, cuz with all the suspension work you have, it looks like you like to auto-x or something, and it'll take some good poundage off the front.

That's what I would do atleast.

Yeah, I'm at 400hp on stock engine. If that's all you want, you reall don't need a built one. If you are getting a built motor, then don't be afraid of 500-600hp. You won't have any reliability issues with the motor, so long as you have the appropriate fuel delivery.

I say go to MPH, get yourself a nice ~500hp twin-screw setup. You'll love the torque. And get an aluminum block, cuz with all the suspension work you have, it looks like you like to auto-x or something, and it'll take some good poundage off the front.

That's what I would do atleast.

any reliability issues with your car putting out that much power on a stock engine?
ive been researching a lot and now im leaning toward just buying a forged rotating assembly, ported stage 3 heads and cams, and installing them onto my stock block.

also, is there any concern with an aluminum block pushing 500+ hp?