Help!! Need Some Input Fan Wont Work...

D-BOI

Mar 26, 2009
Metro Detro
:flag:Hey guys this is my first post here at stang net.

Thanx in advance to all who are willing to help with some advice.

I have a 1997 GT that i am having a problem with, I changed my tensioner pulley and my idling pulley and when i turned the car on everything seemed fine but i noticed that the fan is not turning on after the car got hott and it started steaming from the radiator and i quicky turned it off.

I checked the upper radiator hose and it was really hott but the coolant reservoir was not at all.

I replaced the thermostat and turned the car on again and now everything gets hot even the coolant in the reservoir but the fan still wont turn on and the engine heat is at just under half.

I was thinking that the fan motor was bad so i put a a positive and negative wire to the battery and to my surprise the fan works.

I have no idea why it is not turning on when it should..

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Again Thank You

• Sponsors (?)

i checked and it does have both high and low speed and they both work. i also checked the fusebox next to the battery and the electric cooling fan motor fuse was just fine. i ran the car 2 times in my garage till the heat got at about the halfway mark and the fan still didnt turn on. i just shut it off then i dont want to cause any damage to anything else. im all out of ideas on what the hell could be wrong with it. kinda sux tho because the car is so clean and i just lowered it and today is a nice day and i want to be driving the damn thing

if I were you i'd take out and test the fan and if it kicks on with a 12 volt source, then that eliminates the fan being burnt out and you need to look at your relay, coolant temp sensor and check to make sure all the wiring is in good shape.

yea i tested the fan i ran wires to the battery and it turns on, there is an electric fan motor fuse but no relay that i found its the box right next to the battery.

where is the coolant temp sensor located?

Its the ECT.
Like I told you before,
Its located on the intake manifold on the side of the alternator...

The only thing is, there is 2 of those sensors, one on the left, and one on the right of the alternator. I can't remember which one is the ect and which one is the sending unit for the guage... I want to say it is the left sensor...

Check out your 50 amp fuse!

yea i tested the fan i ran wires to the battery and it turns on, there is an electric fan motor fuse but no relay that i found its the box right next to the battery.

where is the coolant temp sensor located?

What size was the fuse that you checked out? If I'm not mistaken there is a 50 amp fuse that the fan runs off from as well, like the one shown below in the diagram. Not those small 20 or 30 amp fuses. My son's 2003 GT Mustang 50 amp fuse for the fan circuit kept blowing, the one shown in the diagram below circled in red. We cleaned out the fan wiring connecter contacts, and installed a 50 amp breaker in place of the fuse. So far, so good, and that was a couple years ago. Hope this helps. Good luck, Tommy.

2003GTMustang46fancircuitdiagramwit.gif

my 98 has a 60 amp fuse for the electric fan motor and it looks to be in good shape but i switched it out anyways and still no luck. i changed the collant temp sensor and still no luck on top of changin the thermostat and testing the fan by bypassig it to the battery. darn im all out of ideas. is there any relays or something

what can i use to clean the wiring connector contacts with? thank you

Throubleshooting the fan circuit!

my 98 has a 60 amp fuse for the electric fan motor and it looks to be in good shape but i switched it out anyways and still no luck. i changed the collant temp sensor and still no luck on top of changin the thermostat and testing the fan by bypassig it to the battery. darn im all out of ideas. is there any relays or something

what can i use to clean the wiring connector contacts with? thank you

Are you testing the fuses with a tester? Sometimes looks can be deceiving! You should use a multimeter to check across the fuse for continuity. We used an electrical contact spray cleaner with a small wire brush to clean out the wire connector terminal pins. Have you tested any relays in the fan circuit? You may have a bad relay. You do have fan relays in the system. If you can find the fan relay, and try switching it out with another relay like a horn relay, with the same spec's from inside the battery fuse box which is not needed for the engine to run. See if that helps. Do you know how to test the relay to see if it is working properly? If not, let me know and I'll post a test procedure.

Can't find the fan relay?

Here is what I just found. If the fan relay(s) are not located inside the battery fuse box, it may be designed inside the Constant Control Relay Module, like it is for the 94-95 GT Mustang shown in the diagram below. This is a multi relay module that Ford uses for various systems which sometimes includes the fan cooling system. Not sure where your Constant Control Relay Module is located. For my son's 2003 GT Mustang, it is located between the passenger side fender and fender well just above and forward of the strut housing. You need to find out where yours is located and try to get info on how you can test the fan relay portion of the module. Or take a chance by replacing it and see what happens. I have a feeling that your problem is within this relay module. Let us know what you find. Good luck, Tommy.

1994-1995GTMustangConstantControlRe.gif